1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1- free flow and morning activities- help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jo123go, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm moving from Year 5 to year 1 and need advice!
    The year 1 class at the moment is rather formal and I'm going to try and make it more foundation stage-y with areas for continuous provision e.t.c
    The classroom has an enclosed outside area that I'm looking forward to developing- but (I'm going to sound like such a sissy!) do the children use it outside of the warm weather? In my observations of our reception class and current year 1 class the outside area is only used when it's sunny. What do you / your children do? Presumably it's ok just to tell them to get their coats on and get out there (within reason!). Also, the door's very heavy- it's propped open when it's hot but when the heating's on in the winter I guess the children will just have to ask an adult to open the door if the want to go outside. Does that sound ok?
    Also, the class at the moment has tables for the children (rather than areas of learning) and in the morning the children sit at their tables and get on with an activity laid out for them e.g. colouring in / reading / puzzles. I've been reading lots of threads on here and looked at photos in the resource section and I'd love to set my classroom up with learning areas rather than formal seating. If you do this, what do your children do when they come in in the morning? (As they won't all have somewhere to sit).
    Would be very grateful for any advice given!
    Thanks,
    Jo

2. Hi all,
    I'm moving from Year 5 to year 1 and need advice!
    The year 1 class at the moment is rather formal and I'm going to try and make it more foundation stage-y with areas for continuous provision e.t.c
    The classroom has an enclosed outside area that I'm looking forward to developing- but (I'm going to sound like such a sissy!) do the children use it outside of the warm weather? In my observations of our reception class and current year 1 class the outside area is only used when it's sunny. What do you / your children do? Presumably it's ok just to tell them to get their coats on and get out there (within reason!). Also, the door's very heavy- it's propped open when it's hot but when the heating's on in the winter I guess the children will just have to ask an adult to open the door if the want to go outside. Does that sound ok?
    Also, the class at the moment has tables for the children (rather than areas of learning) and in the morning the children sit at their tables and get on with an activity laid out for them e.g. colouring in / reading / puzzles. I've been reading lots of threads on here and looked at photos in the resource section and I'd love to set my classroom up with learning areas rather than formal seating. If you do this, what do your children do when they come in in the morning? (As they won't all have somewhere to sit).
    Would be very grateful for any advice given!
    Thanks,
    Jo

3. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

My Y1 class is set up with areas as in foundatiuon stage but with a little more tabling. It works well and makes for a much smoother transistion.
    Re first thing, we have a place for everything and so when the children comein, they put:
    Reading books in a box (with a picture on); book bags in another box, coats on pegs, lunch boxes on a trolley and letters in a tray.
    While they do this, I catch up with children who need a bit of TLC or individual attention and then they make their way to the carpet for registration. We practice doing it on the first day, and although you get the odd one who can't be bothere/remember to put their book in the box, the rest of them all do it independently. A bit of chivvying and reminding is needed at first, but they get it very quickly.
    Hope it goes well. Y1 is a great year to teach. Sounds like you have the right approach to make it work.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

In the Foundation Stage units I've been in, when the outdoor area is open then the door is propped open so that children can come and go independently. Otherwise you'd always need an adult near the door so that children can get back in, which means the person assigned that job can't fully concentrate on supporting an activity. Some units prop the door open all year round, which meant the classroom was always cold in the winter. Some units open the outdoor area for a short period of time only when it's cold outside, or don't open it at all. I saw one unit which used plastic strips over the doorway similar to those you have at the entrance to a tropical area in a zoo - they kept the heat in but allowed children to come and go as they pleased between the outdoor area and the classroom.