1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 1 fantasy world - circus theme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smiley786, May 19, 2011.

1. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi,
    My next topic is based on circus theme and my literacy objective is to write a fantasy story. Can anyone suggest a story I could use as a starting point? Or have any ideas or suggestions. Really struggling! Haven't done fantasy stories before and new to year 1!
    Thanks

2. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

3. I wouldn't limit your topic on Fantasy Worlds to just 1 theme....

I normally begin discussing fantasy v's reality and letting the children know that in a fantasy worlds anything goes....for setting, characters and made up vocabulary!

Lots of books and video clips to establish the millions of setting choices, lots of hands on feely work to generate adjectives to describe the setting and then loads of drama to 'live' as the characters.....

My kids always love giants, monsters, aliens, dinosaurs, dragons.....the list is endless though.

This topic generates loads of independent writing before the actual writing and it's amazing to see what they come up with!

I always make sure I read Good Zap Little Grog at some point so that the children can see that even with made up vocab you can understand what it means, just at a more fantastical level.

I run a very EY environment.....but at our last Ofsted I was observed 4 times in 2 days during fantasy worlds and got outstanding due to the engagement of the children and the fact that the learning followed their imaginations and not our planning.

Enjoy!

4. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Can anyone name me any good fantasy books to use with Year 1?

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide