1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YEAR 1 Dinosaurs Creative Curriculum planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by student26, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Hi all

I am in the middle of planning my dinosaurs topic for next term and feel like i'm going around in circles! Although I have lots of ideas for fun activities, I am finding it difficult putting a sequence of lessons together- I think I must be tired after the Christmas madness last week!

If there is anyone who could help/show me example planning I would be very grateful. I will even pay at this point haha!

Thanks!

2. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

I did this a few years ago. We did lots of classification work e.g. herbivore/carnivore, we looked at the features of dinosaurs from the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretacous periods and then sorted plastic dinosaurs onto a time line (not as highbrow as it sounds!), we measured out the relative sizes of dinosaurs on the playground and then compared them (as tall as x children etc.), we discovered a dinosaur egg outside and wondered what might come out of it by measuring ad researching, we sang a lot ('listen to the chorus of the brontasaurus... & many others - google them) and did work on dynamics using different sized dinosaurs. We did some fantastic art work, we looked at how we know about dinosaurs and made 'fossils' using clay. We looked at skeletons and used bone shaped dog biscuits to make the skeletons we imagined were inplastic dinosaurs. We had a museum role play. It was great fun! Hope your class enjoy it!

3. Did you ever get your plans together? I too am struggling but at 10 weks pregnant dont have the will at the moment. Any help gratefully received! I have a year 1 class. Thank you!!!!

4. I can send you a Dinosaur board game that can be used to practise reading, spelling, number bonds, etc
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You might find some useful ideas and links on this old thread from early years:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/447290.aspx?PageIndex=1
    There are some resources here too with planning which might help:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/TaxonomySearchResults.aspx?keywords=Dinosaurs&parametrics=primary,40069
    Congratulations on your pregnancy - take care of yourself!

6. Thanks so much. Will look at the link now! I have a most particular Head and if its not right I'll be re-doing it all when I go back!!