1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 1 continuous provision

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smiley786, Feb 19, 2012.

1. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi all,
    Wanted some advice please. I have continuous provision set up in my classroom. I set up interesting activities relevant to the topic in the areas for the children rather than free choice all the time, however, my children don't seem to do the activities I have put out. They do whatever they like. Some children will but not most. How do I get around this problem? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. I do something similar but call it challenge time. We have 5 challenges linked to topic in a week using ICT, construction, water etc. the children have to complete each challenge, record in their challenge book and they have a ticky list that they have to tick each challenge off. My children love it and they get to 'play' but with what I want them to play with.

3. In my Y1/2 class I have red, orange and green activities:
    Red activities are those with an adult and the children <u>must do this activity during the session</u> and are called by the adult as they are needed.
    Orange activites are the tasks I have set up on tables/in continuous provision areas that I want children to do linked to topic. The children <u>must do these at some point during the week</u> and have tick sheets to say they have done it. I usually review at the end of sessions and ask chn to feedback on orange activites - giving rewards for children who have done them well.
    Green activites are continuous provision that children can access as and when they want to.
    The orange activites are always modelled at the start of every week and the TA spends time on a Monday observing and modelling them further during sessions. The set up works well for our children and Ofsted were happy with what children were doing when they observed before half term. The inspector rated the session as outstanding and specifically commented on the quality of the orange tasks and how the children interacted with them.
    Hope this helps

4. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

How does your continuous provision work? I feel lost with it. Do you do Numeracy session and literacy session daily. Are all chn working at the same time? How do you manage to fit everything in?

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I'm struggling with it too. I know this is the way forward for my class, but I think I'm only partially successful. I keep having to convince the head about it all and this is also holding us back.

I'd love to see an example of your planning if possible. Maths is the one I find the most difficult.

Do you do yours so that the CP is all the different areas of EYFS? My head want mine to be CP activities that are maths based in maths and writing/speaking in literacy.

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi, I have english and maths groups running side by side through the morning. I do an english whole class input first and then one adult works with english groups and another works with maths groups. I'm lucky that I have a third adult who goes in the outdoor area. I don't do a whole class maths input because each group tends to be working on different things (I don't use the framework) but I do 10 mins mental maths after lunch.
    Up until now only 2 groups (1 english and 1 maths) have worked at anyone time, the rest use the areas of learning. After half term the top 3 english groups will also have an independent session each week. So during a morning we work with all 5 maths groups plus 4 english groups and an independent english group.
    I can only fit this in because we don't have playtimes. The outdoor area is available all morning to anyone who wants to use it. It does take some organinsing to begin with to make sure children aren't doing their maths group at the same time as their english group!
    I usually have 6 challenges each week, 2 maths based, 2 english based and 2 topic based. Like others have mentioned I explain these clearly to the children on a Monday morning, but also remind them about the challenges at regular intervals. I've found children are more willing to do challenges if we spend a few mins at the end of each day looking at who's done what and lots of praise. They can also stick their challenge work up on the challenges wall so others can see it. I don't insist that they do the challenges, but if they do 5 of the challenges in the week they get a star on their star chart. If they do more than that they get 2 stars on their star chart! As the year has gone on more and more are choosing to do the challenges.
    If they aren't doing challenges or have already done them in a certain area then they can use that area to 'play' their own way.

7. I am Year 2 not Year 1, so not a proper continuous provision setup. My class do maths activities during maths lessons and writing/speaking/drama/book based activities in literacy lessons. As they are Year 2 I direct groups to activities so that their independent activities are differentiated as well as their adult led.
    I'm really interested in the approach you describe for Year 1 though. Do you run this in the afternoons or is it your whole day you are describing? What input do you do for subjects other than literacy or maths? Obviously you will have a phonics session as a class in the day, and presumably guided reading as well?
    I find it really hard to visualise this kind of learning and how you ensure that children are being stretched/staying on task when accessing the provision if you are teaching groups. Also how do you make sure the noise level is low enough for you to work with your group?

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

We do phonics at 11.40 at the end of the morning just before lunch. Guided reading is done on a Monday alongside the maths groups so 1 adult on maths and 1 doing guided read.
    The noise levels have never been a problem. I'm lucky that I have 2 TA's so children have continuous acess to outdoors. They know that if they want to be noisy and run around they need to go outside, indoors is for quiet partner voices. The sand, water, play dough, paint is in a wet area in the wide corridor just outside class, up to 9 children can be in this area at anyone time. We do English group in class and maths group in corridor. Some days the only children in class are the ones working in the English group!
    Every child works with an adult in both english and maths each day so they are stretched and challenged in those groups. The challenges are often set up as open ended tasks that the children self differentiate. As I mentioned earlier, its fine if they don't do the challenges in all the areas because I believe child initiated is still very important in year 1 and they are getting adult led maths and english sessions every morning.
    In the afternoons, following mental maths I do whole class input for whatever it is we are doing. Then 2 adults work with a group at a time whilst the third adult is outside. Sometimes the adults are doing the same activity, sometimes one adult might be doing e.g. ICT whilst the other is doing science.
    I also have a weekly maths and english activity for the outdoors area and in the afternoons the adult outside listens to readers.
    Our year 2 class is more formal. They still have a morning break and have seperate maths and english sessions where majority of class work at the same time. They do have 'independent learning challenges' but tend to just use CP in an afternoon.

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What is the benefit of continuous provision at this stage in year 1? No-one on this thread seems to have given any examples of it working well, or why they wish to improve it so it does work well. Sorry I'm only a parent, but it's puzzling me. I don't know if they do it at my children's school or not. It might explain some mysteries to me if they do.

10. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm really interested in the way you have set up the continous provision activities- just curious to know if these are differentiated in any way and if they are changed daily/weekly.
    Also do chn tick the orange activities themselves or are they ticked by an adult?

11. Thanks comenius. This sounds like a great way to work due to your classroom and the way you have organised things. It must be great having three adults all the time!
    I can definitely see the advantage of having continuous provision and working with groups as you don't have to have any input into what the children working independently are doing, whereas if they were doing activities linked to the input independently they would need a lot of help and prevent you working with your group.
    I'm curious, do you train the whole class to work independently by the end of the year ready for Year 2? I know you said your top groups will start doing independent activities after half term. One of the biggest problems I have experienced in Year 2 is that the less able half of the class are incapable of doing any sort of decent quality work unless an adult is working with them, due to working in the same way in Year 1, always having an adult with their group while the others did choosing.

12. comenius

comenius New commenter

Last year each group worked independently once a week in maths and english for the last term. I'm not sure yet about this year as there are a lot more SEN children in this years class. They will all work independently once a week in english (less able just for the last half term), I'm not sure about maths yet.

13. Hi whowhatwhy,
    I also have a mixed year 1/2 class that I am attempting to set up in a similar style to yours. Currently I have 2 focus groups and 2 groups choosing in challenge areas and then they swap during maths and literacy sessions. I have 5 challenges for the children to complete in a week and they have to tick these off when they have completed them. The issue I have is that some children are completing all the challenges on a Monday and some still haven't done any by Friday. How do you encourage all children to take part and how do you ensure that some children don't rush through all activities in one day during their choosing/challenge time?
    Would it be possible to be sent some examples of your planning for the challenge areas please- I'm not sure if some of the activities are challenging enough for the children! My classroom is quite small so I wouldn't be able to have both green and orange activities as you have- hope this makes sense any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    bec07891

14. SNAP!! I have a mixed 1/2 class for the first time this year and am struggling to get my head around the challenges. Sounds like you have it sussed whowhatwhy so would also be gratetful for any examples you were willing to share!

Thanks!

15. Hi!

This is something I'm struggling with! I've been in year 2 for two years and it's still quite formal, but I would love to make it more child led. Your advice has been really helpful, thank you!

16. Hi,

I love whowhatwhy idea about using the red, orange and green challenges. Do you do this throughout the whole day? Having a red/orange activity for literacy, maths and topic?