1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 continuous and enhanced provision

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hazellia, Jul 8, 2020.

1. hazellia

hazellia New commenter

Hi

I'm going to be teaching Year 1 for the first time. There is currently little in the way of continuous provision and I don't feel like it was something really covered well in my training. If you were going to set up a Year 1 provision area, what would you include? Any ideas welcome, to help me with my plan and my orders. My class will include children with hearing impairments, so any advice on supporting them would also be fantastic.

Many thanks

jetmchugh likes this.
  2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

I had it for about 2 weeks in year 1 and then got rid of it. Hard to manage it with less staff than in eyfs. I also got told once to phase out by Christmas and only have it in afternoons for T2. There was an art/dt area, maths station . Writing station and a tuff spot

3. jetmchugh

jetmchugh New commenter

CP is the way to go! When you look into in detail, you wonder why you never did it before. I had a really tricky class this year and within a couple of days into September I realised formal year one was not going to work. I purchased the book 'Year one in action' by Anna Ephgrave and was totally inspired. Over the next couple of days I rearranged my classroom and took out some of the tables and the engagement immediately changed. The children were happier, not crying coming into school! I had children pulling scrap paper out of the drawer and completing maths sheets that I hadn't even taught them about. They were involved in what they were doing, asking questions, cooperating with each other and so creative. I could never hope to do all they do in the book, as we just don't have the money, but charity shops and ebay are great places to find resources. We are still developing it as we go along, but their skills in oracy, conflict resolution, leadership, writing, maths etc have all made expected or better progress. This year more than any other we are going to need to incorporate this into year one and even year two as some of these children will have been at home for 5 months. The trick is making sure the provision is different to early years, challenges them and expectations are clearly understood. It is as simple as thinking about what you want them to learn and how are they going to be able to do this without sitting at a desk, writing in a book. Facebook and instagram have a wealth of information and teachers who are already doing this, who post amazing ideas and offer advice so check them out. Katies classroom on instagram is full of ideas and she has a huge following. Hope this helps.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Absolutely do this! Even if you don't embrace the philosophy in every way, it will help you no end. (And reassure you when you wonder what on earth is wrong with your class!)

A role play area will do more for reading and writing than any other resource...look at ABCDoes for 'deconstructed role play' it is brilliant.

I used to have 5 groups for maths and English and we rotated through the week/lesson.
    So English lessons went something like:
    1st half lesson grp 1 teacher, grp 2 TA, grp 3 role play, grp 4 reading area, grp 5 independent table activity
    Then in the second half grp 3 and 4 stayed where they were for longer deeper learning and the others rotated.
    Then the next lesson they rotated to other activities.
    I didn't have any whole class sessions for maths and English.

Phonics was part of whole school RWI

Everything else was topic based and partly independent and partly teacher led.

Definitely the way to go in year 1.