1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Classroom Resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gs019, Jul 13, 2011.

1. gs019

gs019 New commenter

Hi

I am an NQT with a year 1 class in September. I have been in to visit the school and have been told a number of times that my classroom has limited resources so I was just wondering what resources people consider a 'must have' for year 1 so that I can start hunting and making a wish list...
    Any ideas would be really helpful...

Thanks!!

2. maths - bead strings, number lines to 20, 100 squares for the tables, pots with compare bears/bugs/dinosaurs etc, diennes, numicon (desirable, but not essential) giant number line (or access to on playground etc) giant dice, regular and irregular 2 d shapes, 3d shapes, hanging number lines, number bonds to ten displayed on walls, steps in tens on walls, giant 100 square and long number line on wall. Other good things are Orchard toy type maths games like Spotty Dog game etc.
    English - tricky HFWs on wall (phases you are covering) creative writing box with lots of interesting bits in to get them keen on choosing to write, some simple dictionaries and thesaures (sp) for those who are ready to be shown how to use them, letter lines on tables and word mats too, some phonics games and resources for your phonics sessions, simple displays linked to whatever you are focussing on at the time. Lots of mini whiteboards, marker pens and rubbers. Sorry, I am sure there is more, but I can't think.
    General - tuff spot, comfy things for book corner, area for role play and resources for use in it.

3. gs019

gs019 New commenter

Ahh that's amazing...thank you!!

4. Lots of the things I mentioned can be printed off for free from sites like ******, TPet, Primary Classroom Resources (free section), Communication4all etc, so it shouldn't cost too much.