1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 child running out of class - advice needed

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lunachem, May 20, 2018.

1. lunachem

lunachem New commenter

Thank you for reading my post. I am looking for advice or similar experiences on how this type of behaviour is managed within your school.

I currently have a Year 1 child who is not SEND and is very bright who runs out of the internal or external door of my classroom at least 3 times a day. This child has confidence issues with making mistakes and has attention seeking behaviours. The behaviour is happening all day. I have a behaviour plan and follow this daily and on most days the child is PIPS restrained for their own safety or the safety of staff or other children. I have a positive relationship with parents. Behaviour is getting worse each week. SEND coordinator has suggested strategies to distract from negative behaviours such as playing games, stories and colouring. I now have an additional adult to support. My question is what happens in your school if a child leaves the classroom without permission, attempts to strike an adult or another child ? Thank you!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. GladRagsAtMidnight2017

GladRagsAtMidnight2017 Occasional commenter

I would say context is important.

If a child had a meltdown and ran out the classroom in order to find somewhere to calm down, there would be no consequence as that child would be located and talked down and the issues that led to the fight/flight response discussed. This has happened occasionally with some children.

If a child has just decided they are bored, don't want to do the lesson, and get up and leave, there would be a consequence of loss of play time. If the child did not return when asked, the next consequence applies, then management would get involved if still no resolution. The child would be required to do the work they refused to do during their loss of break/lunch time.

cys2017 and pepper5 like this.
  3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

I agree, context matters. If they are running out because they've worked themselves up into a tizzy over making a mistake, in a way they're attempting to distance themselves from something stressful, which is quite a good idea! (But running off unsupervised is not good, obviously). A child doing that would need a firm talking to and have a more sensible solution pointed out to them - e.g. Asking for help, maybe asking permission to calm down in the book corner or you give them a job to do for 5 minutes as a "brain break". Being open with parents is important too and it sounds like you're doing this.

If the child has just decided that running out looks like fun/is a way to get attention, that's another matter.

First, I would make sure the whole class understand why no one leaves the room without permission - all of my class know its for their safety, that I need to know where they are and almost every day it gets a subtle mention (for instance, when I do the register but a child is at an intervention, I'll say "oh, I know where x is, so that's ok"). This means no one has an excuse to leave without permission, so a child who leaves without it may get a stern taking to during the start of playtime (thus missing a few minutes), or if they actively run far off, SLT will deal with it and parents informed before the child is returned and they catch up their work.

I have one child who, when in a temper and wanting a bit of attention, marches up to my door and loudly threatens to run. I simply go and stand in front of the door, but don't speak to them. When they realise their plan is thwarted, they march off and sulk in a corner of the classroom and after a few minutes I go and quietly, firmly outline my expectations for their behaviour. This child has many issues but has not attempted to run for a few months now, as they've realised it's pointless thing to do.

This child has also swiped/kicked at me, again when in a temper and being a bit dramatic: if no contact is made, I ignore it, but if contact is made (even if not hard), SLT are immediately called to take the child out (as per our behaviour policy) and parents informed. This happened a fair few times earlier in the year and drove the child to tears: they've not done it for a few months now, as the lesson appears to have finally gotten through.

Consistency seems to have been what eventually sorted the worst of the issues (this child is still a challenge, but less dangerously so!) . Now you have a plan in place and some extra support, I hope you resolve your issues soon too!

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

Could you delegate an area of the classroom for them to run off to? A book corner, or their own cushion at the back? Then at least you can get on with teaching the other children while knowing they're safe?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Talk to the child and find out the actual reason . Is it to gain attention or is it to escape from the work. Set up rules and reinforce on its usage - use rewards for following these rules and discuss the consequences of breaking the class rule.
    If this child is trying to run away from work, then hold back the child missing out on playtime to get the work done. Maybe after few attempts, there is improvement.

Have reading corner with bean bags for students or have some literacy or math activities around in the classroom for students to have short time off in between lessons so they are engage in a variety of activities. This may increase their level of interest in the classroom.

pepper5 likes this.