1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 changing characters from good to bad and vice versa.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cat1288, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    For part of my Year 1 Fairytales unit the children are writing their own version of the Hansel and Gretel story. I've got one week left and I really want some good stories this time around! I was thinking the children will keep to the same basic plot structure and just change the witch to a good character and Hansel and Gretel to bad characters. I have an observed lesson where I was planning to do this but I don't really know where to start!! We've done adjectives of the characters last week and I need to have them planning out the story and writing their own this week/ next week. Does anybody have a good idea on how to approach this? I don't want to confuse them and generally I have quite a few low attainers in the class!!

Thanks.

2. Hi,
    For part of my Year 1 Fairytales unit the children are writing their own version of the Hansel and Gretel story. I've got one week left and I really want some good stories this time around! I was thinking the children will keep to the same basic plot structure and just change the witch to a good character and Hansel and Gretel to bad characters. I have an observed lesson where I was planning to do this but I don't really know where to start!! We've done adjectives of the characters last week and I need to have them planning out the story and writing their own this week/ next week. Does anybody have a good idea on how to approach this? I don't want to confuse them and generally I have quite a few low attainers in the class!!

Thanks.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Maybe just change one of the characters rather than all of them, as I think it could get too much for year 1 children (it would for my class).
    Why not just change the witch to a good witch and so the start of the story could stay the same and the children would just change the part from when they find the witches house. So instead of the witch catching Hansel and Gretel she would do something good with them/for them?
    Maybe you need to introduce the children to some good characters in fairy tales first to see the sorts of things they do - usually helping the main characters. Would any apply tot he witch? You could do some role play, hot seating. How would a good witch help Hansel and Gretel? What might Hansel and Gretel ask the witch for?
    Something along those lines maybe...!?

4. Thank you! That's a much better/ simpler idea, I think it is a bit much of them to expect to change both!!
    Do you think the lesson objective could still be along the lines of using adjectives to describe their own characters? Or maybe just sticking to changing the character and practicing/ writing down hot seating questions?? Sorry so many questions, i'm just a bit stuck with this one!!
    Thanks!!