1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 C2 maths help.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cat1288, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Slightly confused about objectives for C2. What kinds of diagrams should the children use for sorting information and answering questions - we have used carroll diagrams with success and should I go on to pictograms now? The children were introduced to pictograms in C1. What about Venn diagrams? And should the highers be introduced to block graphs??
    Any good ideas for work along the lines of pictograms and problem solving would be much appreciated!! Many thanks.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'd definitely use pictograms and block graphs in y1z. Also venns are quite easily understood if you make them physically with hoops and objects. I think venns sometimes make more sense to young children than carrolls, although making physical ones which children can put themselves in has helped to make it clearer in
    the past.

3. [​IMG]
    You mean my year 11s have been doing these for 10 school years and still "dun ged it"?

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have found physical Carroll diagrams can work well too. We drew one up with metre sticks on the floor and just dropped different headings down.

5. Thanks, they seemed to pick up carroll diagrams pretty quick, we related it all to measuring. Any ideas on differentiated pictograms??

6. when i was working in ks1, we tended to do venns before carolls - you can make physical ones of those too - pe hoops are useful for large scale ones

7. sorry curlygirl - i'm working on the reading skills [​IMG]

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

At secondary I would move onto using different keys. Not sure if this would be suitable for Year 1 but you could use multilink blocks startig with blocks of 2 represent 2 people and then, if they were up to it, move onto pictures.

9. hmm, I don't know :S
    This may be ofsted watched so it needs to be challenging but not too confusing.. eek.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Forgiven [​IMG]

11. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

What if they weren't watching? :)