1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 and 2 timetable

Discussion in 'Primary' started by BC103670, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Really struggling to decide on a workable timetable for my Year 1 and 2 class. We have phonics till 9.30 then maths till 10.30. After break Literacy but we spend every day catching up on the numeracy not completed before break and everything seems such a rush! How do other mixed year 1/2 classes timetable?

2. Really struggling to decide on a workable timetable for my Year 1 and 2 class. We have phonics till 9.30 then maths till 10.30. After break Literacy but we spend every day catching up on the numeracy not completed before break and everything seems such a rush! How do other mixed year 1/2 classes timetable?

3. Have you considered breaking up your phonics and literacy.
    Think of phonics as including handwriting and some simple plain texts for spelling and comprehension through as much independent work as possible - so that the children will have already achieved some handwriting and thinking experience.
    Then, consider doing your literacy later in the day - maybe not every day - but in a very 'higher-order' and exciting way - not dependent on always getting some writing accomplished confident that the children have already done some writing.
    If you are an infant teacher, you maybe need to broaden your idea (and time) of what you can subsume into your phonics sessions - and contrast these greatly with language and literature in some of the afternoons -even through other topic areas.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Don't spend time after break catching up. If it isn't done then it isn't done...leave it til the next day.

I have an hour and a quarter for phonics and literacy. If phonics is exciting that day and goes on a while, literacy is shorter. If phonics is less engaging for some reason, it becomes shorter and we move on to literacy. Handwriting now is an independent activity during literacy for most children and a focus for me during phonics for some, so doesn't need its own slot.

I also teach history/geography as a topic and so teach it in literacy lessons, so freeing up another hour a wee from the timetable. We also tend to block DT to a couple of days at the end of term, freeing up a bit more time as well.

5. SgtSlaughter

SgtSlaughter New commenter

Do you teach phonics with the whole class? Or in small groups? I sometimes have five tables with a variety of phonics related activities - diagraph hunts in books, handwriting focusing on diagraphs, speaking and listening questions, high frequency words, education city on the IWB etc. Five or so minutes on each keeps the class engaged.

For maths could you introduce/revise the topic as early morning work when they arrive? Or straight after lunch? My class do their spellings first thing in the morning and then grab a whiteboard and pen to complete activities I set on the IWB before assembly. It does require being organised in the morning to write the activities out on the scratchpad but I can personalise them each day based on the needs of the class. Number bonds/facts, doubles, shapes etc.