1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 30 minute Literacy Lesson for Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, May 28, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

The Magic Box was me I think? I posted my lesson idea in the NQT forum a few weeks ago. It got me the job but that was with a year 4 class and they really understood the contradictions in the objects. I dont see why it couldn't be used to enrich language with a Year 1 class but they mightn't 'get it' quite as well as year 4 did.

Also, whatever activity you choose, with just 30 minutes I would stick to whiteboard work and shared writing on the board.

2. Ah, thanks for the idea of the Magic Box. I was trying to find something quite open and imaginative for the children to use and it seemed like a perfect idea. The actual poem is beautiful, and where the children might not understand a lot of the specifics, I was going to recite it quite elaboratively, to gain their attention.
    Initially, was thinking of having them sat on the carpet in a circle, with a box in the middle, and then recite the poem. If doing shared writing, I thought I could ask the children to discuss in pairs what they would have in their magic box, and then ask for answers. Each of these, I'll write on a post-it note and stick on the box. Then, taking the post-it notes and modelling how to make them more exciting, perhaps writing them on the whiteboard in lines of three, like the original poem. Depending on time, we could then discuss what our box could be made of.
    Just not sure what to do with those children who may be less confident and may not want to speak up.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Partner talk or think/pair/share will work for them, you cant always take answers from every child anyway. Will you have IWB facilities? As there is a Magic Box spinner that I used for mine to generate ideas in those who were struggling with ideas. Or you could have a bag with some basic ideas in it and they could all pick one out - then uplevel the language/qualify the noun e.g. 'The eyesight of an owl' could become 'The sharp eyesight of a hunting owl as he scans the ground for food'

4. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Have you done Y1 before? Unless it is a very able Y1, many of the children will be only just be able to write a couple of sentences unsupported. Some (given the high EAL) may be only able to write one sentence even with support. Of course, you may also have a couple of children who could write half a page complete with accurate punctuation. You'll need to provide either a heavily supportive writing frame for most children or, given your very narrow time slots. I'd go with reading the text (don't know the texts but time yourself reading them, and for preference put the text up on the IWB so the children can read along with you), partner talk whatever you want them to write, model how they are to use the writing frame (big copy on IWB) and then partnered writing (one sentence each) using a differentiated writing frame. You'll need something for very low ability children. Extension could be the number of sentences you want them to write, or describing words. Remember Y1 shouldn't be on carpet longer than 15 mins.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've used this based on the idea of kit Wright's Magic Box with
    reception
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    or alternatively the same idea applied to familiar stories

6. Thanks for everyone's replies.

This is what I'm thinking of doing my lesson on...

In the Magic Box -
    Introduction - reading the poem. (5 mins) Maybe have my own magic box with items in?
    Discussion of ideas and model writing (5-7 mins) - e.g. what I will put into my magic box, ask children for their ideas. Model writing the ideas down. Quickly model making the writing more exciting.Maybe have some laminated images if some children get a little stuck? They can pick one of the images they would put into their box.
    Activity - children to write their sentences "In my magic box I will put..." with differentiated writing frames. LA's could have a variety of words and pictures in the middle of their table with "In my magic box I will put" already on the worksheet for them, they just have to fill in the last part of the sentence (word-level), MA's could have the first part of the sentence at the top of the page, for spelling and think of the end for the sentence (sentence-level?), and HA's could write their own full sentences, doing more than one if they finish. (15 mins) Or they could draw a picture of what they want in, with word-level, sentence-level differentation as above.
    Plenary - have some of the chd read out their sentences - ask others what they liked about their sentence? (5 mins)
    Not sure whether to concentrate on the learning objective for writing sentences, or for improving sentences with describing words, etc.

Does this sound okay? I've been told that they will mainly be looking at my interaction with the children, but I don't want to do a lesson where children aren't going to be engaged - engagement will bring out the best interactions I hope.
    Very nervous, as first interview!

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

How about changing the box to a different focus e.g. In my scary box.... I think year 1 children will find it easier to think of things to go in a more specific box, rather than just 'magic'. Make sue you use partner talk to get them thinking about things that could go in the box.
    As they give you ideas you could write them on a large word bank that they could use to help write their own sentences. Get them to give you an adjective with each word.
    Rather than each child doing their own poem, you could get them to write group ones - each group could have a A3 box writing frame that opens and each child a strip of paper. Write their sentence, then stick them in the box to make the poem. I think 30 mins will go very quickly!
    In the plenary they could read and act out their poem (great fun especially if a scary box!!)
    Good luck :0)

8. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

I love these particular suggestions and will keep in mind for my yr1/2's! Many Thanks
    Good Luck for interview- try to relax and be yourself- you will come across in the best possible light that way and will know whether the job/school is for you should you be offered the position.
    Have confidence in your ability was the best peice of advice I recieved.

9. Thank you very much, this is a fantastic idea... just enough to give my lesson a bit of an edge.
    I was thinking of having a word bank up to share the ideas, but wasn't sure whether to rely on ICT to do this... may have ICT prepared, as well as a back up (probably poster paper and a reliable old marker pen) ready.
    Having the children do a group poem is also a great idea - this means they will have something to keep after my lesson - and a plenary of reading/acting is also good - though I'm not sure about the LA group. If there is a TA, I will probably have them scribe the group poem for the LA group, or give them vocab cards, and they may find it difficult to read their poem out. Would it be unfair if I only chose a couple of the groups to read/act their poems out due to time restrictions?
    I may also provide poster paper for each group, with large strips of paper, and provide the beginning of the poem at the top "In my scary box I will put..."