1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 1/2 maths interview lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emsie2000, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I have to teach a 20 minute maths activity to a year 1/2 class. I am having a major confidence crisis at the minute. Are any of the following ideas any good? I want to try and make it as practical as possible.

1) Looking at measuring. Draw 4 different routes children have to walk to school on a sheet. Children have to work out who has the longest route to take by measuring. Year 1's could use non standard measures, year 2's could use standard measures. Get the children to set success criteria by talking about how they will use their measuring equipment effectively.

2) Going shopping. Give each table a number of different priced items. How many ways can they spend 10p/20p depending on ability? Less able could have pennies to help them. More able think of a logical way of recording their answers.

3) Again, measuring. Teddy has a certain size suitcase. Which of these items will fit in his suitcase? Which will not fit? How do you know? Get children to measure size of suitcase and then measure each item and work out whether it will fit or not. Again, non standard and standard measures would be the differentiation.

4) Children imagine they are planting flowers in a garden. How many different ways can they plant the flower? Less able could have 3 coloured flowers to work with. Middle ability could have 4 coloured flowers to work with. higher ability could hav 5 coloured flowers to work with. How many different ways can they find? How do they know they have found all the ways?

Are these ideas any good? Any advice would be gratefully received!

2. I have to teach a 20 minute maths activity to a year 1/2 class. I am having a major confidence crisis at the minute. Are any of the following ideas any good? I want to try and make it as practical as possible.

1) Looking at measuring. Draw 4 different routes children have to walk to school on a sheet. Children have to work out who has the longest route to take by measuring. Year 1's could use non standard measures, year 2's could use standard measures. Get the children to set success criteria by talking about how they will use their measuring equipment effectively.

2) Going shopping. Give each table a number of different priced items. How many ways can they spend 10p/20p depending on ability? Less able could have pennies to help them. More able think of a logical way of recording their answers.

3) Again, measuring. Teddy has a certain size suitcase. Which of these items will fit in his suitcase? Which will not fit? How do you know? Get children to measure size of suitcase and then measure each item and work out whether it will fit or not. Again, non standard and standard measures would be the differentiation.

4) Children imagine they are planting flowers in a garden. How many different ways can they plant the flower? Less able could have 3 coloured flowers to work with. Middle ability could have 4 coloured flowers to work with. higher ability could hav 5 coloured flowers to work with. How many different ways can they find? How do they know they have found all the ways?

Are these ideas any good? Any advice would be gratefully received!