1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YEAR 1/2 FRACTIONS LESSON IDEAS

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Bella82, Dec 4, 2009.

1. I need some lesson ideas for a year 1/2 maths half hour lesson asap.
    The L.O is I can find half and a quarter of a set of objects.
    Any advice is much appreciated![​IMG]
    Bella

2. I need some lesson ideas for a year 1/2 maths half hour lesson asap.
    The L.O is I can find half and a quarter of a set of objects.
    Any advice is much appreciated![​IMG]
    Bella

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The way things usually work here is that you give a suggestion of what you wish to do and then forum members give advice on what may or may not work.
    Lazily asking for a lesson plan and ideas without any input from yourself will get you some ... er ... interesting posts.

4. As a main activity I had planned to use cubes or counters and getting the chn to find halves and the HA kids to find halves and quarter or half of larger numbers of cubes. (The LA group will find half of a small number of object). Then get them to record answers on mini whiteboards.
    I'm aware this activity seems very bland and need some tips to make it more interesting!

5. You could give them two piles of pennies, and ask, "what would make you richer, half of this pile or a quarter of that pile?" etc.
    Or you could show them different plates and ask which of these show halves, which show quarters and which show neither. The contents of the plates could highlight misconceptions and encourage mathematical talk, for example a (rather cold) mini pizza cut in to two, unequal pieces, another cut in to thirds, a plate with 5 quarters of pizza etc.
    What do you think Bella?