1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ye gods, will we ever see the end of gormless gawp selfies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by phatsals, Jul 11, 2019.

1. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I've yet again seen a picture of a normal woman, looking like a gormless gawp. Head tilted forward, eyes blank, open mouth, looking for all the world like a half dead fish. There's hundreds of them, nay, thousands, posted by the score on facebook. If you're very lucky there could be 10 versions of the same gormless look posted one after the other - not one of them representing a person you'd recognise if you were to bump into them in the street.

I'm struggling with this and 'contouring' to keep a straight face. I had a visit recently from a 17 year old who needed some help. I could barely avert my eyes from the dark triangles on the cheeks, stripes down the nose and lips with what appeared to be a severe allergic reaction

Now, I agree this make-up can make for a lovely pic, but when you're 2 feet away it's a very different matter. This, combined with the gormless look, I can't wait to see the back of.

Bring back animated faces - pleeeaaaase!

knitone and nomad like this.
  2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oh no! The trout mouth look!

catmother and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Friend of mine has a pose that she uses for every Facebook profile image. It’s terrifying!

I’m pretty sure that’s not the reaction she’s looking for!

nomad likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe it's clever marketing by the Guild of Fishmongers?

"I know, let's start a social media trend where selfies look like what's in our shop windows - subliminal advertising, bound to increase sales on the High Street."

grumpydogwoman, needabreak and nomad like this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

And what is it with these cartoon eyebrows that look like their mates have held them down in the playground and been really silly with a black marker pen? How many hours and pounds is it taking to turn them into Mr Spock?

[​IMG]

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I see no gawpy woman, bit typinghard.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I dont see gawpy women either but I'm very particular who I befriend.

8. needabreak

I think they are tatooed on :eek:

9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It’s the men and women with the cheeks sucked in duck faces that bug me. Life lived on social media ... says she talking to strangers on t’internet ...

10. needabreak

You're talking to strangers on the internet now are you not?

Those poses are funny, I prefer a smile wry or otherwise, or artsy b/w but it's all about fashion... There was a makeup thread a while back not much talk of saving the environmental there though I'm afraid...or of boycotting a multi million pound/dollar multinational industry either, but I've said before and Smith before me that people are innately selfish... my good selfiless self included.

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Faecebook. Don't. *simples.

12. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Ah yes, the eyebrows. Groucho Marx would be very proud.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I see these women walking around my town every day - who needs Facebook for it? Fashion fads come and go - I hope this one (the heavy contouring and daft eyebrows) dies its inevitable death soon.
    It's quite a British/American trend, which can easily be traced back to Kim Kardashian. We were in France recently and I didn't see one woman who'd used contouring. Not one.

Can I just add my own fashion-horror-dislike? Leggings being worn like trousers - fine (kind of) if the material is thick enough, but omygod the number of times I've had to hold my tongue walking behind crowds of schoolgirls. Why don't their parents tell them their Primark leggings are too sheer? You can see EVERYTHING. Also, and I don't know if this is just in my neck of the woods, but the elastic mini skirts that are en "vogue" are often so short you can literally see bum cheeks.

Right - I've officially entered middle age. I've joined in a thread moaning about young people's fashion. Shoot me now.

colpee, catmother, Wotton and 6 others like this.
  14. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Yes, that’s what I meant!

needabreak likes this.
  15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

[​IMG]
    And we never wore silly make up and joke eyebrows. Ooh that's quite big!

needabreak likes this.
  16. Ivartheboneless

Has she been crying .... symmetrically?

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The fashion when I was a lass was NO eyebrows.

But we retained individuality. These days I really can't tell the difference between any of them. I sometimes think: is that my daughter or her best mate, not sure.

1 person likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I understood it was wanting to emulate Cara Delevingne which started the eyebrow trend.

racroesus likes this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

What about "scousebrows" which started a few years ago.
    upload_2019-7-12_15-9-1.jpeg
    Even Mick Jagger would have trouble snogging this!

20. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

So true, Grumpy! In 1973, I tweezered most of my (very bushy) eyebrows away. I got carried away (probably because it didn't hurt) but knew I'd plucked them too much. 'Not to worry', I thought, 'they'll grow back.' They never did...