1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yay! My daughter is down for the weekend!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jan 16, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I don't get to see her as often as we'd like. Both of us work silly hours, in her case inconvenient shifts and in mine, I'm often travelling. In fact, this is the first time we've had the opportunity to get together for a weekend in well over a year.
    I'd like some ideas for something special to cook for her Sunday dinner. We had this thing going when she was a kid that whenever she asked what was for dinner I'd say roast toast or muttleburgers or whatever else came to mind.
    So girls, money is not an obstacle when it comes to feeding my daughter after all this time. Imagine you have a dad who's not a bad cook if he tries. What would you like him to cook for you on an occasion like this. I know she'll be with me in the kitchen all the time asking what she can do to help. Perhaps you could suggest a desert that will keep her occupied?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Do something that will not take you ages to prepare- fling a roast in the oven and spend the time with her! Enjoy your time together, it's precious.

3. When we asked what's for dinner my mother always said "I wiggwam for a goose's bridle" don't ask me what that is. Now, when she asks me what do I want for dinner I answer "Food".

I second the comment about the roast. If she lives by herself a homecooked roast won't be a common occurance for her. As already said it would allow you to spend time with her. Or the other thing is cook the dish of your's she loved best a child. Same with the dessert. She will never cook it as well as you do. I can't cook a lasagna nearly as well as my mum so love it when she cooks it for me. Unfortunatly, I only see her in summer and it's too hot to use the oven.

4. A Sunday Roast - with Yorkshire Puds....even if the roast is chicken - and 'proper' gravy will hardly be likely to disappoint!
    But, whenever Mum has one of her children visit they ask for one of two meals - either a curry or mum's special stew. The stew is a childhood favourite. And they both require minimal preparation so more time for chatting and looking at photos (please nooooooooooooo!)
    For dessert you can't go far wrong if you go for 'something plus custard'...apple crumble? treacle sponge?....or maybe a trifle?(another of those things you tend not to make just for yourself)....if you want her to help (or if she wants to help!) then she canm make the custard.
    Oh and maybe a cake (or a loaf of homemade bread?) for her to take home with her!

5. So.........what did you cook for her?

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I took the advice and cooked roast chicken which she said was the best roast meal she'd had in ages. Stuffing made from liver, onion, dried apricots thyme and breadcrumbs. Gravy stock made from bits of the chicken we wouldn't otherwise have eaten such as the wings, parsons nose, neck and lower leg joints.
    For desert I made a lemon cheesecake sort of thing. Base made from ginger biscuits filling made from the juice of 3 lemons, a pack of lime jelly, a can of condensed milk and a pot of natural yoghurt.

7. awwwwwww, you sound as lovely as my step-dad.
    He will always conjure up something he knows I love too - and will have the fridge and larder full of stuff he knows Mum always bought in for me.
    And then he will be so sweet and ask me "can you teach me how to cook your...x,y,z?".
    I don't need to worry about him starving in his dotage - he loves his kitchen.