1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yay! Lucky me

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by gruoch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Did 2 hours at my local school last week and I've jut had my payslip.
    £7.50 an hour.
    OK - after tax.
    Ain't supply wonderful?

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Grouch

Was that being paid through an umbrella company?

If you are being paid through an umbrella company, you should try to find agencies who will pay you PAYE.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nobody should have to teach for a wage like that.

rolysol, les25paul and pepper5 like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's appalling. I was getting more than that in 1986 - honestly.

rolysol, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

£7.50 an hour.
    Don't spend it all at once.
    Seriously, did you really do a four year degree for £7.50 an hour? If no-one worked as a teacher for this pittance then they would have to pay the proper rate, not starvation wages. Don't you realise that if you work for peanuts, then it drives down the rates of pay for everyone else too?
    "Can I have some more peanuts please?"
    Oliver
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    rolysol likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thing is schoolsoutforsummer, there really is little option often. It's work for a pittance or no work and therefore no income. :(

peter12171 and pepper5 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Recently, I worked as an office temp for £7.50 BEFORE tax. This was a wage I received 23 years ago. Obviously, I can claim the tax back at the end of the year, but it is still an appalling wage for anyone degree or not.

I decided not to that again and will only go for £8.50 per hour.

However, the supply work though pays a lot better since I am paid PAYE.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wouldn't do an hour's supply teaching for £7.50 - sorry

9. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I'd rather do supermarket shelf stacking or office temp work for more hours, more money (overall) and less stress.

How is it that will all the talk of teacher shortages we can still pay those who are out there so little money and find so little work for them?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

At £7.50 an hour there are jobs other then teaching you can do which are far less stressful and hassle. Do them instead and maybe those hoping to pay so low for a teacher might have a rethink.

Its a matter of supply and demand (sorry :oops: its a bad pun I know )

wanet and pepper5 like this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

Quite so. Or £15 for two hours, as the OP did.

12. schoolsout4summer

Quite right. Too many Supply and not enough demand - despite what we might read in the media.

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

This sort of measly pay rate has been a reality for a couple of years now. LEAs have been offering £8 an hour for tutors teaching students excluded from school; colleges are offering the same rate for PT lecturers. I agree with you that there are too many supply teachers chasing too little work, which has depressed pay. To extend the pun, literally the law of supply and demand.

The worst pay I ever got was from exam invigilation. Until I received my pay slip, I did not know that I would only get paid for the 15 minutes of handing out papers at the beginning of the exam, and the 15 minutes of collecting them in. For a whole morning, I got less than £2 net.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Landofla and pepper5 like this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

Our paper boy makes more than that. A possibly new, more profitable vocation for Supply Teachers?

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I get £20 an hour minimum for tutoring - I wouldn't do it for less.

rolysol and pepper5 like this.
  16. bounceback

bounceback New commenter

I am thinking of giving up supply and doing home care work. When I take into account the hours worked on supply, (usually 8 AM to at least 4.30 PM , often later if there is lots of marking, working through lunch to start said marking, often on playground duty), and then work out my hourly rate it is about £10 net. Also, home care work would be year round and I could work weekends. I know it's hard work and have read some bad reviews about certain care companies, however some do seem to pay a comparable wage. I need to do a bit more research but I am so disillusioned with supply and the education system in general that I feel I need to get out soon. (Also, I think the clients are generally pleased to see their carers which would give more job satisfaction).

wicked4u2 likes this.