1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yacapaca and Socrative

Discussion in 'Science' started by MBilling, May 7, 2012.

1. Has anyone used both or done any comparisons? I think that they both have interesting possibilities but don't know where it would be best to concentrate my time and effort!

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

2. Has anyone used both or done any comparisons? I think that they both have interesting possibilities but don't know where it would be best to concentrate my time and effort!

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

3. Advantages of Yacapaca
    <ol>[*]Formative assessment. Yacapaca questions include feedback statements that help students understand why they got the answer right or wrong. Without this, you're just back to 19th Century rote learning. We even offer free training to our more active authors to help them extend their skills.[*]Range of question types. Yacapaca has 6 question types, all automarked, each with a large number of settable options. They are explained here. [*]Existing question bank that you can use to create your own quizzes, in addition to being able to write your own questions. Yacapaca currently has 126,274 questions already in the question bank, all written by teachers.[*]Grades reported in NC Levels (with sublevels), GCSE levels, iGCSE levels, SQA Highers, SQA Standard Grades, OCR Nationals, US grade levels, NZ National Curriculum, VELS (Australia) and more to come. An assessment system isn't much use unless it reports in the grades you use. [*]Quizzes cross-referenced to UK syllabi. Here's KS3 Science, for example.[*]Strong UK community. Most of our 90,000 teachers and 2.4M students are in the UK.</ol>Advantages of Socratic
    <ol>[*]Big marketing budget. The can even afford to pay a TES advisor to write some sample materials. Yacapaca doesn't actually have a marketing budget, so they've got us beaten hands down on that one. </ol>Do I need to make the obvious disclosure about my role in all this?

4. <ol>[*]We welcome collaboration with all teachers, students <u>and</u> tech tools. It's about the students, right Chalkface (Yaca Paca).[*]Its called Socrative.[*]Its Free and has no marketing budget [*]We're designed to aid learning and improve the classroom experience in real time. </ol>

Also

<ol>[*]Built by teachers for teachers[*]Simple teacher/student friendly interface and takes seconds to login[*]Explanations or feedback statements [*]Short Answer Responses with Voting for brainstorming and discussions[*]Quizzes with emailed and/or downloadable Reporting[*]Works on any web enabled device, every web browser, and has iOS and Android Apps[*]Space Race - Fun![*]Exit Tickets Templates[*]Features released as the market is ready. </ol>
    We welcome your feedback and ideas for improvement!

Check out our Socrative Garden Blog for usage ideas

5. OK - now how about some opinions from teachers who have used them but aren't so closely affiliated with the two sites...[​IMG]

6. I've never used Socrative but have been a Yacapaca user for a number of years.

I find it excellent. There is a large variety of tasks you can set for the kids inc. multiple question types and eportfolios. You can analyse pupil performance in great detail and can also add your own offline assessment results to the database.

Give it a try, you won't regret it.

7. I've made extensive use of Yacapaca for a few years now, mainly using multiple choice tests as homework to cement basic ideas into place. I always allow the students two attempts at each test and usually they improve the second time round. I have devoted considerable time and effort into producing GCSE physics tests to suit the AQA specification and these have been commended by other teachers. The students seem quite happy to do this sort of thing for homework, and they get instant feedback after each question, togehter with hints about how to do the question if they get it wrong. I have also used tests composed by other users, which offers interesting insights into the practice of other colleagues. I would always rather spend a couple of hours setting interesting questions than a similar time in marking them: Yacapaca does all the marking and analysis for me, showing where the students have understood a topic and, equally, where more work will be necessary. I'm sold on Yacapaca.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think we have a failed ad for both products here with first time posters suddenly arriving to sing the praises of one or the other, makes me want to steer clear of both of them. Maybe the lack of anyone's experience and no other posts other than a sales pitch says a lot.

9. Mangleworzle, if you perform a Forum search on "Yacapaca" you will find a discussion going back to 2005 with comments from many teachers, including some of the Forum's more prolific posters. Most comments, not all, have been positive.
    Scepticism is good, but please don't let that tip into cynicism. You don't need to reject Yacapaca just because someone else believes passionately enough in its power to impact young lives to actively promote it.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Cynical moi?
    If it looks like spam and smells like spam...
    Yeh right, you sound like a proper "guru".