1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yabla

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by curlyk, Oct 13, 2012.

1. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Hi everybody .
    Has anyone made use of `Yabla `,as recommended by ALL this week ? In a mad fit of optimism (and it was free and recommended by a reliable source !) I subscribed to the free 60 day trial in French, but have yet to set up my account for my Year 11 pupils to access .
    Hurrah for the return of languagesonline ! I would be lost without it, for grammar exercises for all years and Year 12/13 activities. Plus, I use MYLO, via languagesonline, for listening material for KS3 and 4. I know I can access MYLO separately ,but it makes it easy for students to go from one site to the other, when on one site. We are so lucky to have such great sites freely available for our students.
    A big cheer for language teachers. Aren`t we wonderful !
    And yes, I am retiring in 2014 ,after 34 years of language teaching .18 months early ,but my husband is retiring, so I`m not working while he`s at home!. Off to the Windies, or Australia, to follow England on a cricket tour . Can`t wait, but have to see my Year 10 GCSE group and A level student through,before it can happen. Hopefully, I will be cunningly avoiding the onset of the dreaded Ebac(c) or even another Ofsted . It`s all in the timing !
    See you at the Languages show next week perhaps . I can`t wait to see Rachel Hawkes in action again . She inspired me 8 years ago, at Comberton, and no doubt she will do it again next week. No pressure Rachel !
    Please don`t post in a response, to correct my spelling, syntax or punctuation. No-one likes a pedant !

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Yo curlyk - how nice to hear from you again! I'll be at the Languages Show - maybe see you there :eek:)

3. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

.Nice to be back .
    I`ve been a bit busy ,with 2 sons graduating,finding jobs,leaving home plus two schools to work in. It doesn`t get easier, as you get older, hence the early retirement plan!!
    .34 years in MFL teaching will be long enough for anyone. When my Year ll`s accidentally call me Mum, I tell them it should be Grandma now !!
    Look forward to seeing you at the show perhaps... Which day/s are you going ?
    love CK

4. ambi

ambi New commenter

Well done curlyk and good luck with the proposed retirement - sounds like you have some fabulous plans, so enjoy - you deserve it. I am now 33 yrs in and still loving the job but will need to go on for a good few years as youngest child is in 6th form and despite the availability of student finance, experience with my eldest shows it is a farce and nowhere near enough to live on , so will try to keep going till young'un finishes Uni. If only we were allowed to just get on with the job we love without all the extra c..p we have to deal with. The kids are great, l love languages and my job, the school is not bad but Gove, OFSTED etc are likely to take their toll at my advanced age!! Such a shame when we oldies still have such a lot to give and are open to new ideas!

5. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Yabla experience anyone ?

6. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I'll be there for all of it!

7. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Hi Geekie,
    I am a big fan of your site. Hope to see you at the `Show and tell `or another session.
    I am going to R.Hawkes`/ Joe`s ipads`/cooking with languages / Show and tell sessions and I will be trying to promote my teaching resources site ,as it is dying on its feet at the moment. Victim of posters which last for years and so don`t get repeat purchases very often.
    Hope the show is as good as in previous years and we don`t get caught up in the anti- austerity cuts protests. My best friend is going with me . We are meeting up at the Champagne lounge at St Pancras at 9.30 am,so hopefully a good time will be had by all.

8. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Through membership of ALL . They emailed me a link that offered 60 days free in any language for any number of pupils, so I thought I`d try it out.

9. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Just been so inspired by The Languages Show.It was fantastic being surrounded by the boundless optimism and enthusiasm of young and older language teachers. So much sharing of ideas and brilliant techniques !!!
    Made a bit of an `***` of myself at the Show and Tell session at the end of the Languages Show yesterday.Thank you Helen ,what a great idea to get teachers to share their tips, I think I got carried away by it all.
    My best friend fron Uni, Jan (Bath 1974 -1979 ) came with me to the show ,as a sort of `minder` I think !!. She didn`t pass the medical we used to have to have in the 1970s, to get onto the PGCE with me at Bath, but later became a French teacher of adults.
    We had a fantastic time chatting to unsuspecting stall holder,grabbing freebies ,entering every competiton anf finally volunteering to share our teaching tips. Jan had been told to hold me back ,as I am a bit manic at the moment . Quote from her after my session " I`m glad you took the hint to stop when the teachers started clapping" I do embarass friends on occasion ! I put it down to endless enthusiasm , I`m not sure what they would say about that though !!
    Lovely to see all those famous teachers in the flesh so to speak,so inspirational ,Yabla ,Mylo,Lingauscope,Languagesonline, Youtube songs et al are my `go to` resources . I`m a bit of a magpie French teacher.I like to pick up shiny new ideas and run with them .Not so hot on technology however , I have to borrow other people`s Powerpoints ,it saves time .
    See you all next year when I will be entering my final year of teaching. !
    PS. I`m in my middle,not late fifties thank you, last speaker on Show and Tell !!!!