1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y9 Lesson Hell!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by violet64, Feb 9, 2011.

1. violet64

violet64 New commenter

I am in my third decade of teaching and am struggling with a Y9 group. Getting them all quiet at once is a major achievement. A significant number of them do the absolute bare minimum work-wise and despite the fact that I have used a mixture of praise on the good ones combined with 'punishment' for those disrupting they are as difficult as ever. Dice and counter games are thrown around and as they have started the GCSE syllabus- despite the fact that few are doing it next year- I still need to do 'proper work' with them. Any one can save my sanity? Thanks

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I had this exact problem. A strategy which worked for me was to break the work up into very small chunks. Each completed chunk earned the student a tick on a "Student-progress" sheet.
    If they got all 10 ticks that meant they had earned a level 5. They were then given another "Level 6 Progress Sheet".

The tasks were small requiring a minumum of talking by teacher. Massive praise on the ones completing the tasks. House points for two ticks in the same lesson and I made a huge deal about that. Took a few lessons for them to settle into it but it worked for me. I even managed a level 7 and best ever year 9 results.

3. violet64

violet64 New commenter

This sounds a fantastic idea. Did your level 5 progress sheet correspond to level 5 work and so on or is it all less literal? Will draw some sheet up for a 'new start' after half term. Did you or they keep them?

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

IEach student had a progress sheet which was simply a table, two columns,task number and an empty box awaiting the tick. Accompanying this was a list of the tasks. Each task was described in enough detail so that the student knew how to achieve the tick. Massive praise was lavished on those who achieved the tick and public noisy celebration was my reaction to anyone achieving the level 5. The one level 7 student was marched to the headmaster and she received a certificate at the next assembly. The students each had a folder which was kept in the classroom.All of their evidence for achieving the tick was kept in the folder. It took a lot of planning and enormous energy during the lessons but I honestly had a lump in my throat when my level 7 student got her certificate. The tasks corresponded to the level 5 criteria. The difficult part was designing the tasks to be small but still achieve the level 5 criteria. OFSTED loved it.