1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y9 french trip: any ideas?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by eleplat, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I would like to organise a French trip for a year 9 class. I am an NQT and I don't feel capable taking them abroad on my own just yet, but I would like to take them to London instead.

Is there any interesting things to do in London that would be related to French culture? A particular cinema? A museum? ...

Thank you very much for your help!

2. Hello all,
    I would like to organise a French trip for a year 9 class. I am an NQT and I don't feel capable taking them abroad on my own just yet, but I would like to take them to London instead.

Is there any interesting things to do in London that would be related to French culture? A particular cinema? A museum? ...

Thank you very much for your help!

3. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

Why London? Are you based near there or is it the attractions of the "big lights"?
    Just wondering if you get any French Markets near to your hometown. We get one or two each year round here and I see it is always the same traders. Just wondered if you could have a chat with the manager or some of the stallholders (find out which company organises it as they are seldom actually "random traders" but usually part of a team or organised from one town). Then you could do shopping, food and similar topics and get the students to do their shopping entirely in French!

4. Yes, the school is near London, that's why I asked. [​IMG]
    I will check if there is a French market nearby. That's a good idea!
    Thank you

5. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

There's the Europa centre in Havering.

6. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

If you are an NQT you really could do with some experience of organising trips (through helping someone else etc) before you take on the full responsibility yourself. The Europa centre is the one I've just spent fruitless minutes searching for on Google - thanks for that, Teafrog! (Hadn't seen your reply before I posted)

7. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

I completely agree with Cestrian- I've run /led many trips, but still have to spend hours picking over lists and notes I made from last year's trip to try to remember everything for the next trip....
    There are lots of points that you only really pick up from being on trips that others have organised and led, I would say. Good luck! [​IMG]

8. Hi - we actually run a language and activity centre in Burgundy and as an ex-deputy head teacher and EVC I am very happy to help you with the planning and organisation of your trip when you are ready to think about travelling abroad. I am also in the UK over the winter to work with schools on plans for summer visits. If you are interested, please do look at our website www.maisonclairefontaine.com. All the best Alex