1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y8 Nurture set

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Chazette, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

I've been given my timetable for next year and i have a bottom set Y8. They are a class of 12, and attainment level range between 1c and 3c. I've not taught a set so low down while on practice so some advice on how to prepare for this type of class would be invaluable.
    I understand that I need to be looking at the KS2 framework but any other hints/tips/resources would be amazing.
    Thank you!

2. 2 Questions
    (i) Why are they the level they are?
    (ii) What does your school/HoD expect by the end of the year
    IMO, once you establish why pupils are scoring such levels and what the end result is expected to be, you have a place to start. One size certainly doesnt fit all

3. This is why I asked my question. We dont know where they are ad without knowing you may face further issues.
    Many kids with low test/progress scores are always low ability. They are often able kids who have not engaged, not ried or have behaviour issues. These kids are often very capable and dishing out primary resources will only further alientate them.
    Low ability and low attainment are not the same.

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I had a whole timetable of classes like this in my last yeat at my previous school, here are my top tips!
    - Seat by ability in groups, that way you can go and 'work with' a group whilst other groups are doing work that they can get on with, aim for 3 groups so 15min with each group of focussed teaching at their level, use a mini whiteboard and sit with them.
    - I found that making a booklet of basic calculated colourings from 10 ticks invaluable for other groups to be getting on with.
    - You need some small cubes to use to help illustate points and for the children to use if they want it - make them freely available.
    - Schofield and Sims makes some good mental workbooks, go down as far as the Ks1 booklets for the weaker ones - stick their name label over the bit that says KS1.
    - I used to divide the lesson up into 4 bits, 15min working with me, 15min on a basic skills workbook, 15min something else (could be carrying on with work we had done together if they were able to) and then 10min at the end doing primary games on the IWB. Small chunks is key.
    - Don't be afraid to spend a long time on the basics, it's what they need, throw in some SSM and Data every couple of weeks to break it up, but it's 4 rules and tables that need to be addressed first. DOn't be afraid to give them times tables squares if you want them to practice grid multiplying for example so that they don't get bogged down in the tables aspect of it, then withdraw the tables grid but use easy numbers, then work up.
    - With the weakest ones you need to do money work with them, preferably using real money. Buy some early learning fake food and a cash register and play shop. Sit down with them and 'buy' items and they have to give you change, start with one item at a time that's easy. MOney also helps you see if they can count in groups, e.g. in 2's you will find that many can't count up a number of 2 pence pieces without tapping each one twice even if they know their 2 times table as they don't see the link, so get them to give you say 12p in lots of different ways.
    - A fab thing I did was to adapt the Bowland product wars activity. I gave them a choice of fruit etc with prices (a small selection), they worked out what would be in their smoothie and how much it would cost, then we actually made the smoothies (I brought in a food processor - see if you could borrow a food tech room for this bit!), they had to weigh out the ingredients, cut up blend and then drink their creations - far better than sitting down doing a sheet on reading scales! They then made the containers using nets and decorated.

Hope some of that helps!

5. I am also taking on some very low sets in KS3 next year, so will be returning to this post, thank you Trinity. Have had no KS3 at all for the last year, mostly A-Level and a bit of KS4.

6. Use the first week establishing what you are dealing with and establish expectations. This will give you a chance to do some informal AfL and lay down the direction you are going.
    <u>OFTEN</u> poor behaviour/motivation comes with poor <u>attainment</u>

7. I dont agree with a couple of points here.
    Bowland is IMO not ideal unless so heavily adapted that you are not really doing it. The 'real low ability kids' will not be happy to handle number and literacy in one go very often.
    Second one is the requirement to 'sex up maths' just to get them involved. This may be something nice for them to do at home but as a lesson its not ideal IMO and many pupils will expect you to replicate this. I dont think this is ideal or realistic for an NQT with a new class.

8. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I'm not advocating this type of lesson all the time, and certainly not when you are getting to know a class. I did it in the summer term as a way of bringing together a number of topics. Pupils at this ability level really need the real-life functional skills to use every day maths etc, so being able to use some real scales rather than seeing them on a sheet and work cooperatively in a group are important things we should be doing with these children. However I would also add that this class had a number of boys with very challenging behaviour (some due to attainment issues others due to SEN) and it was the series of lessons where they were best behaved and cooperative, with a far greater attention span than usual!
    I agree that the majority of Bowland tasks are inappropiate for these level of child, however I found that with this product wars one adapted the way I did allowed for them to practice doubling and halving numbers, reading scales, group working, nets of cubes and cuboids, addition, converting between units (e.g. ml to l) etc...