1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y8 Low ability - 'Going on a trip' project

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by guagua19, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi all. Wondering if anyone can help. I am a new teacher in a very small department and am wanting to put together a project booklet for a couple of Year 8 classes, based on the above topic (or something like visiting a (French) town etc.) This year the classes in our Year 8 are taught in their forms so they are mixed ability, but in truth they are mostly fairly low-mid ability-wise with tricky behaviour prevalent (one of them on class report.) It has been suggested that as a whole we need to look at whether to change the dynamics of the teaching groups/classes across the year, as the Year 8 pupils seem particularly disaffected at such an early stage of their MFL learning.

Determined to start the term om a more positive note, I am therefore wanting to put together a colourful project book, with lots of differentiation, to allow the more able /conscientious to extend their learning and engage in independent research (we have one PC lesson per week), but also lots of achievable (but still interesting) activities. Trouble is, most of the stuff I have come across is either too difficult for the majority of them at the moment. So I was wondering whether anyone has a basic project along these lines which I can tailor to include a range of differentiated activities according to the make-up of my current classes? I would be so grateful. J

2. Hi all. Wondering if anyone can help. I am a new teacher in a very small department and am wanting to put together a project booklet for a couple of Year 8 classes, based on the above topic (or something like visiting a (French) town etc.) This year the classes in our Year 8 are taught in their forms so they are mixed ability, but in truth they are mostly fairly low-mid ability-wise with tricky behaviour prevalent (one of them on class report.) It has been suggested that as a whole we need to look at whether to change the dynamics of the teaching groups/classes across the year, as the Year 8 pupils seem particularly disaffected at such an early stage of their MFL learning.

Determined to start the term om a more positive note, I am therefore wanting to put together a colourful project book, with lots of differentiation, to allow the more able /conscientious to extend their learning and engage in independent research (we have one PC lesson per week), but also lots of achievable (but still interesting) activities. Trouble is, most of the stuff I have come across is either too difficult for the majority of them at the moment. So I was wondering whether anyone has a basic project along these lines which I can tailor to include a range of differentiated activities according to the make-up of my current classes? I would be so grateful. J

3. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

you have looked in TES resources, haven't you?
    You need to use the computer lesson:
    -for them to research a place in France and put together a powerpoint presenting the place that they have chosen (have a look yourself for the French tourist board website/ towns in France that have good websites)
    -to practise vocab for places in town/directions on MFL websites like linguascope (linguascope extra is free if your school doesn't pay for linguascope- if it doesn't pay, try to persuade them to subscribe as it's cheap and good value), languagesonline, etc.
    -I would suggest you plan a series of lessons focussing on describing travel (to get there), places in town (find or make a ppt/ resources with real photos of the French places), asking for and giving directions (for finding your way around there), accomodation, shopping in a shop/market, numbers and prices (mflsunderland have some nice worksheets on euros, free time activities 'at Rouen you can play tennis' etc. You could do weather as well.
    Make a lot of your activities kinaesthetic and play lots of games with the vocab, and every time you finish a subtopic, they can add that bit to their booklet.
    Give them an audience- tell them the booklets are going to be used with year 7/ sent to the local primary school.
    Get them to get onto bigchallengeclub- a European initiative where Eng students can go into safe chatrooms with students from France. Better still, go on it, register yourself and find a French teacher who will do a letter swap with you.
    Get your class to send away to tourist boards in France- you will get lots of lovely maps/ posters/info booklets back.
    Good luck.

4. Thank you so much for replying. Some great ideas!!!

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Also, my new geeky thing is to use google streetview. It's great to give you the impression you're there, and if you have access to a computer suite, it can be really good. Languagesonline have a good unit on directions and town (Encore Tricolore 1 Unit 7, just used it today!).
    I've done a project years ago on Paris - famous landmarks, maps, singing Aux Champs Elysées, making a booklet, etc. Not much language involved but that'd be up to you to do more.