1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y7 who have done French in primary schools and need stretching ?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MademoiselleP, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MademoiselleP

MademoiselleP New commenter

Hi ,
    I am finding myself- like lots of other French teachers out there I imagine- with classes of Y7 who have done French , sometimes for years on a regular basis , in their primary schools . There are all sorts of levels in each class but I have noticed they are quite familiar with all the topics we tend to teach at the beginning of Y7 ( numbers , days of the week, greetings , saying how old you are , months ) and as a resut , I am looking out for ways to stretch them gently without losing the rest of pupils who may not have had as much French in the past . I also want to keep them motivated and excited by their French learning .Any ideas from people who have experienced the same situation ?
    Thanks !!!!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I start off with French phonics as even pupils who have done some French before have rarely done phonics in any detail. This allows the introduction of new language to be done more quickly later on, and therefore you can move on to sentence level more quickly and don't lose the enthusiasm of pupils who have already covered the vocabulary.

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I've been to two good INSET sessions on this, one by Martine Pillette and one by Liz Black, from Stokesley School. The idea is to do the usual in an unusual way. For example, when doing animals, do wild animals/zoo animals instead of the usual domestic. You can also use the more experienced ones as coaches for those who have done less. You can look at Liz's resources here https://vle.stokesley.n-yorks.sch.uk/ - click on "Contact Us" then "Subjects Online". Have you adapted your schemes of work because of the experience that the students are having in primary? It would also be well worth your while making sure as much as possible that all the primaries are covering the same content. Not easy, I know.