1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y7 teaching resources - Studio1 or Acces Studio?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by AilsaMcC, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Hi there,

Studio 1 is meant to deal with transition but it really is conditional on pupils having had French beforehand and having those basics. Studio Access covers the basics and has listenings but no assessment attached to it. I know this for fact as had meeting with sales guy from Pearson recently.
    I don't know because we have recently gone through the same thing but we did think Studio was too complex if pupils HADNT done any French at all and would rather have a bit of repetition and stretching those who have done it through differentiation than to completely turn them off the language because they have no understanding.
    So basically, I think you need to look at getting both, with Access Studio providing roughly the 1st term of work (we should stay in touch and share resources/assessments if you do do this). Like I said, we are not sure yet either but that is my feeling......Access Studio is significantly cheaper as it is much shorter so I do think perhaps need to think of getting both. Unless you happen to know that every Year 7 child did French at Primary......

2. We are in the same quandary but have decided to make our own "transition" unit for the first half-term before launching into Studio 1. Our transition unit will cover the basics (I hope!) and yet, at the same time, keep the interest of those who have done some French at primary. It make take us a year or two to get the balance right!

3. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Did any of you write a transition unit in the end? I've just acquired the Studio 1/Studio 2 resources. I'm tempted to use parts of Expo for the first part of the year and then move onto Studio 1.

4. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

I'm just about to start with Studio 1 in Sept. I've purchased 10 copies of Acces Studio to use with our new year 7s who haven't done French before. The stuff in Studio 1 is accessible I think as long as you take the first unit slowly and stop to fill in any gaps.

5. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I'm thinking of doing a bridging unit, like someone suggested here - I've made assumptions before about our pupil's starting points and it's put pupils off French.

6. Looking at Studio 1, it assumes pupils have a high level of French before they've even entered the classroom.

I'd recommend getting Accès and using it before Studio 1, as it does provide a good transition into Year 7. It's bright and colouful too. It does come as a flimsy 32 page booklet, and I don't remember them lasting too long between the 3 classes I had.

7. We have been using both Studio 1 and Studio acces with our Y7s for the past couple of years. We dip into studio acces as and when appropriate. You don't need the books if you use Activeteach - it is a bit cheaper for Acces than for the remainder of the series. p.s. there are symbols in the studio 1 books which cross-reference you to Studio acces.