1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y7 believing in God/ ultimate questions

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by rockgrrl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am seeking inspiration (which is somewhat lacking at the moment!) I am looking to out together a scheme of learning to tackle big questions about believing in God, and the creation of the world with Y7s does anyone have any funky resources or plans that they would be willing to share? I have resources that I would be happy to swap if there is anything that I could offer in return.
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I am seeking inspiration (which is somewhat lacking at the moment!) I am looking to out together a scheme of learning to tackle big questions about believing in God, and the creation of the world with Y7s does anyone have any funky resources or plans that they would be willing to share? I have resources that I would be happy to swap if there is anything that I could offer in return.
    Thanks

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

To find an interesting resource for the creation of the world theme, you may want to find out more about a book called A Graphic Cosmogony.
    It features the attempt of a variety of graphic artists and caroonists to portray their version of the creation story in 7 pages.
    Have only just ordered the book myself so I'm not sure of how suitable the content is for Year 7's or quite how I am going to use it myself. But it definitely counts as a 'funky resource'. Here's a link to an extract from it:
    http://mumblingidiot.deviantart.com/art/Graphic-Cosmogony-185695991
    A lot more can be found by typing the title of the book into Google Images.

4. Can't suggest funky resources, but can suggest some big questions:
    If God has a physical presence, how could that be if God preceded the creation of the universe?
    If God has infinite knowledge, the knowledge to create the universe, from where did that knowledge first come?
    If God is almighty, why would God be that concerned about blasphemy, to the point historically or in some religions, blasphemy incurred the death penalty?
    Did God create humankind, or humankind create God? Does it matter?
    Is God the "algebra" of human existence? (Substitutes for unknowns)

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

You could maybe use the song 'what if God was one of us'. Look at the words and get them thinking about the nature of God.

With my Y7s earlier earlier this year I got them to write a persuasive argument based on an ultimate question. E.G Give reasons why God exists, give reasons why evil and suffering happen.