1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y7 Baseline assessment

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MPMCG, Sep 6, 2020.

1. MPMCG

MPMCG New commenter

Our daughter who has spent a large chunk of primary being homeschooled, has just had baseline tests done for year 7 entry at a selective school. The tests were adaptive (Midyis) so naturally became harder as she progressed through the test. With regards to the Maths component, she had to answer questions which required application of Pythagorean theorem, fractional powers and simplification of powers....all which seem quite advanced topics for a just turned 11 year old entering year 7? At what age/year would these topics typically be taught? And given that Midyis is intended as a year 7 baseline tool, does this suggest that the ability to understand & apply these topics is not unusual for some children leaving primary?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would say:
    Pythagoras typically around y9 top set; likewise fractional powers.
    Simplifying with powers prob y8, although could be y7 if very simple

gainly likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I wouldn't expect a primary pupil to have done any of these topics. They are certainly not in the KS2 curriculum.

4. MPMCG

MPMCG New commenter

Thank you, that is what I suspected. Do you know why a year 7 baseline test such as Midyis would be including topics like this? From what I had read, no specific preparation was required, and they are supposedly not curriculum based. Yet how would any child be expected to know these type of advanced topics, unless they had been taught them as part of their curriculum delivery?

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If an adaptive test finds they can do everything expected at their age, and there's still time, it might as well go on to find out what else they can do, and feed that back to the school. The people who make Midyis also do something similar for older year groups, so it presumably wasn't too hard to add in some more advanced questions.

I was once told my daughter was "a strong level 4", at which point I told the teacher that I thought she was a strong level 5; it was just that they hadn't tested her on anything above level 4. (It prompted them to try testing all their "strong level 4s" at a higher level, and she wasn't the only one.)

6. MPMCG

MPMCG New commenter

That makes sense, thanks frustum. This might explain why she said she was last to finish, and had become aware of everyone watching & waiting! She took an Incas? test as part of another school’s entrance assessment earlier this year, and the feedback we were given from that, was that her Maths age was 14+, which seemed surprising at the time. So if these Midyis tests are used for setting and planning the teaching of KS3..which we are told will primarily encompass an initial term of revising and ‘mastering’ KS2...what would this mean for a child who is seemingly already working further ahead?

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Well, it should mean that the teacher is aware of her capability (once the Midyis results come back, which might not be immediate), and might ensure that they have some extension work ready for her.