1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 too young for "les choristes"??

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by delphinedubreucq, Oct 30, 2013.

1. I really want to do a little film study before Y6 go off to the big school and I am planning on showing les "choristes" to my Y6 during the SUMMER term..

Are Year 6 too young for the film in terms of rating? I showed it to a year 8 but not all chIildren felt engaged because of its "classical music related content" and I am thinking a little younger audience might prefer.

Any thoughts please!

many thanks

2. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

Might be a bit difficult for y6 and it's a 12 rating.

How about " Le petit Nicolas" or "Boule et Bill"? But I have to admit that I haven't looked for the subtitled version.

3. loranp

loranp New commenter

Le petit Nicolas is brilliant, my Year 6s loved it last year.

4. Thank you, I haven't seen Le petit Nicolas, but will get hold of it

5. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I don't show it to my Year 7s, only Year 8 upwards. There are some naughty words on the subtitled version - year 8s loved that bit of course.

I found that showing the subtitled version actually focused them - they had to sit quietly and watch, and it did engage them, although they moaned a bit at first.

6. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Surely you'd only need one parent to complain that you'd shown a 12 and then you'd be in the doghouse. I feel that there are some quite 'adult' themes in the film - I tend to show it to year 9 upwards. I've found that boys seem to prefer it to girls, I think because some of them empathise with some of the naughty antics.

7. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Yes, too young.

8. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Agreed too young. But I've found that younger classes enjoy the Asterix films - culturally accessible, and recognisable characters. We've just shown Les Choristes to year 10, and I think it was just right for them.

9. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

I'd err on the side of caution (12 rating, for mature themes and language) and go with something more age-appropriate. If you don't fancy "Le Petit Nicolas", how about something like "Asterix..." (one of acted ones with Gerard Depardieu, rather than the animations), or an animation like "Kirikou"? Or if you want something more mature for them, how about "Moi Cesar, 10 ans et demi, 1m39" (not available subtitled, I'm afraid)?