1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 time lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by uk2020, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am being observed in the teaching of time next week. I have a Year 6 class with som very able mathematicians. Also, I have some poor children. How could I stretch the more able (level 5 children) in time? I don't just want too give them SATS questions. Any ideas please?

2. Hi all,
    I am being observed in the teaching of time next week. I have a Year 6 class with som very able mathematicians. Also, I have some poor children. How could I stretch the more able (level 5 children) in time? I don't just want too give them SATS questions. Any ideas please?

3. What about some sort of travel planning activity? For example, you could get a load of bus and / or rail timetables - either from a station, or off the internet, and get the children to plan the quickest route from A to B using either bus or train - or compare how long it would take different people going home from a party or something if they're all catching a bus home to different places. Something to do with reading timetables, and calculating how long journeys take.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

PurpleBuzzard's idea is good, but if you're on a different unit/maths topic use the same approach to create an open-ended task which children can access at their own level.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Open ended tasks on time differences across the world are good.

Be careful in assuming your most able children will be able to tell the time well. (That might sound patronising, but it wasn't meant to. I'm sorry but I'm not sure how well you know your class.) I have some able level 5 children, one of whom cannot tell the time at at all. I also have some mid level 3 children who could solve problems involving time.

6. Good point, minnieminx. I've noticed telling the time isn't necessarily related to general maths ability in the children I've taught - I guess it's to do with home experience.

7. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I remember (giving my age away) when Phil Collins played in both the UK and the USA Live Aid Concerts.
    Why not ask them if work out if that was actually possible?
    This would involve a huge amount of high-level work on time, problem-solving, distance speed and time. Possibly some level 6 maths as well! And they would love it - tell the story of Live Aid and ask them if it was possible for Phil to get across the Atlantic...cross-curricular with Science and Geography of course (concorde, supersonic speeds etc.)

8. I would extend them with some problem solving questions to do with time. (Sally catches a train at 9am, after a while she falls asleep for a third of the trip and wakes up at 4pm, she then watchs a movie for two hours and reads a book for another 3 hours just before the train arrives, how long was the train trip and what time did she go too sleep?)

There's one idea anyway[​IMG]