1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 teachers - How are you going to 'keep' children's work for judging levels for writing (End of year tests/SATs)?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShyTea, Jan 15, 2012.

1. After going on a moderation course last week it seems there is no one way of doing it. Some are using APP grids and highlighting as they go along and selecting work to be photocopied to keep in a file in case they are moderated. Some are using Ros Wilsons criteria (as it can be broken down into sub levels easier) and just post it marking books. Some are having a different book to their normal writing book to write longer pieces of work in and will use this as their levelling.

What are you going to do?

2. After going on a moderation course last week it seems there is no one way of doing it. Some are using APP grids and highlighting as they go along and selecting work to be photocopied to keep in a file in case they are moderated. Some are using Ros Wilsons criteria (as it can be broken down into sub levels easier) and just post it marking books. Some are having a different book to their normal writing book to write longer pieces of work in and will use this as their levelling.

What are you going to do?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

School, where I did supply last year (aand always got very good results), had a 'normal' system of doing one 'moderated' piece of work each half-term and kept the work in plastic wallets (1 for each half-term, so any 3/4 pieces of work from any child's could then be retrieved from each of the wallets).

4. Hi,
    We do an unseen 'Friday Writing' task every week which I keep in files (marked normally with tips for next time). One per half term I level using APP grids or for old SATs questions, use the markbooks given.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We do independent unseen writing every Friday ( across the school, not just year 6). I level these every fortnight ( I teach Yr 5/6 so year 5 one week, year 6 the other!) using APP. Once a term we do a SATs paper which I mark using the Test guidance.
    Four children are also used as APP "guides", for these I keep copies of any assessed work across the curriculum, together with copies of their Literacy work, in a seperate file.
    We're also doing the Writing Test in May, this will form PART of the Teacher Assessment together with the evidence from the year. Hopefully this will be enough!