1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 teachers: have you done the sample tests?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by michaelt1979, Feb 28, 2016.

1. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

As so many of us are using the sample test papers, I thought it might be useful to collate some scores so that we can compare our own outcomes to a bigger picture. To do that I've set up a Google Doc where you can enter your own class's scores (anonymously of course). Alternatively, I'm happy to collate scores that are sent via here or emailed to me at info@primarycurriculum.me.uk
    I'm hoping that in time we'd be able to look at a pool of scores to see a mean average, and also, say a percentage of children who scored higher than half-marks, etc.
    If you want to add your own scores to the googledoc, the link is:
    https://t.co/52XifYvt2c

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Good idea, then we can all either panic together or calm down a bit!
    Mine are added,

3. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Hi Michael,

For some reason I can't open the googledoc (not sure why). If I email the scores is it a class average from the papers or scores for each pupil for maths, reading etc.?

EDIT: Ignore, I've been able to upload the scores :)

4. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

Hi Michael. That's a great idea. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Ours are not planned in until the end of the half term so I might be a bit late to add them.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

What a great idea. We gave them the SP&G and maths papers earlier in the term and we're marking the reading together tomorrow morning. I'll add them all as soon as my enormous pile of writing assessments has been completed.
    The joys of teaching Y6 - sigho_O

6. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

7. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Yes - but we are revisiting in the near future in hope of improvement. Is there a deadline as to when you would like this done?

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't get why schools do the same tests again. Surely they won't give a true representation of progress. They've already done the questions before!

As for the results. Our averages are similar to those, maybe a little lower. We did the tests in November though. Has anyone done the sample SATs and any test ones by CGP? Wondering if you felt the level was similar.

9. musicandmaths

musicandmaths New commenter

I've done some of the CGP maths tests. I quite like them - to me they seem to be of a similar standard.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

My lot can't remember what they did yesterday, never mind questions on a test they did last November!

11. jlane4156

jlane4156 New commenter

But surely the test results increase each time pupils take the same test? This is certainly what we're found in the past. We're using practice papers from Gapps Education so that we have as many different papers as possible. This way our pupils can become familiar with lots of types of questions. We had thought of using the CGP ones as well - has anyone been using these and how have they found the standard?

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Yes, of course results improve if they take the same test a second time 4 months apart, otherwise there would have been no point in teaching them! But we can identify gaps in learning, correlate with other standardised tests to see which children have results above AR. We use other material -we use PUMA tests across the whole school as part of our summative assessment weeks, we use CGP tests which we find slightly easier, we had a go at Rising Stars early in the year but found them incredibly difficult and never used them again, we use ****** arithmetic papers on a weekly basis.
    Oh, and we teach a bit too:D