1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 Taster session

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by overseasjunky, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I'm really new to this, so please don't shoot me down! I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or materials to support a Y6 taster session? It will last for one hour and is mixed ability. Never done one before, but I was thinking of a few games, maybe maths jigsaws??

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Is this year 6 coming into year 7 or year 5 coming into year 6?

Do you usually do games and jigsaws?

If you do, then that's exactly what you should be doing.

If it isn't, then what sort of "taster" is it if what you're giving them as a sample isn't really on the menu?

3. Thanks for the reply PaulDG.

Y6 coming into Y7.

I think the day is more for them to become familiar with the surroundings, as opposed to achieving any NC objectives, which is what I would normally do.

I'm thinking more of fun, maths activities that get them thinking, interacting with each other. I might be totally off the mark with my ideas, maybe someone with more experience can offer some insight?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have done this a few times. A chat about Maths, a chance for them to say how they feel about the subject and a short investigation (in pairs or small groups) seem to work for me.

5. m4thsdotcom

m4thsdotcom Occasional commenter

I agree with Paul.

I think taster days should be that.

I think it would be great to get into primary schools to do fun activities and maths games throughout the year building up to year 7 with the year 6s. A familiar face, some investigations and a number of 'getting to know' sessions would be great.

I think a true taster day should be that. Yes, include some of the cooler aspects of maths they will learn but creating an impression that 'big school' is about fun and games may not be beneficial in the long run.

You might have a morning of maths and then some activities in the afternoon but a day must be representative of what school will be like.

The same happens with year 11 taster days for the new year 12s. It has to be engaging but realistic.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

We do similar days where they follow a timetable where they have a different subject each period to get them used to moving around school. So we get 1 lesson with them. I think some kind of investigation/problem/discussion type task works well (assuming that is common practice for your normal lesson!). Something that can stretch the able but support the weaker; something that teases out their knowledge; that kind of thing.

7. 36x34 = 1224

58x 52 = 3016

71x79 = 5609

Ask a pupil to give you an integer between 20 amd 90

You then write up another number with the same tens digit but the unit digit is the complement to 10.

You immediately give the correct answer to their product.

The final two digits are the product of the units. The first two digits are the product of the tens number and the next tens number.

eg they say 57 and I immediately say that 57 x 53 is 3021 ( because 5x 6 = 30 and 7x 3 = 21)

I lend a student a calculator so that they can check my answer and try to beat me.

I send the vast majority of a year 6 class home to amaze their parents at how much they have learnt in 1 lesson because they can learn the trick in that time. You always get at least 1 who can't find the complement to 10 but, hey, you can't win 'em all!

8. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Last time I had a Y6 class on 'Induction day' I gave them some maths puzzles to do in groups. I am not used to doing mixed ability lessons (we set) so I went for something getting them doing some maths but nothing that would leave them feeling they 'couldn't do' maths in big school. I wanted them to do some maths, work in groups and have some fun.

9. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

We have mixed ability pupils from Y6 visiting and they will only get a half hour 'lesson' in maths. So we have decided to use a maths treasure hunt around the room and get them working together with a variety of questions. There is a great book , I think by Vivien Lucas on maths treasure hunts including advice on how may questions for the time to fill etc so you could do a lengthier one?

10. I used Dan Meyer's 3-Act lesson on "Pyramid of Pennies" for my Year 6 taster lesson. It works really well IMO.

11. stewarty

stewarty New commenter

I am taking a taster lesson on Thursday.

I have plumped for fractals.

Show them a triangle. Then an equilateral triangle. Then a tetrahedron. At each stage they work in groups to write down all they can about about these objects.

I then split a tetrahedron into 4 smaller tetrahedron and an octahedron. This introduces the idea of a fractal. They then investigate these and start to create Sierpinski's triangle.

I like this idea because it is higher level, makes them work in groups, is not something they have probably done before and is a bit of fun.

12. m4thsdotcom

m4thsdotcom Occasional commenter

Sounds a nice rich task.

Do you think this would be accessible for level 3 pupils if you had any?

From past observations I have notice with mixed ability year 6's some weaker students feel 'adrift' in a group if they are working on harder task with more able students.

13. stewarty

stewarty New commenter

I have planned mine for a grammar school, but with some consideration you could differentiate it. An idea might be that if you look at fractals with L3 pupils you could think about attaching smaller squares onto the edges of larger squares to create a pattern.

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I used to do an algebra one. Take a whole load of squares, labelled A. Take a whole load of quarter-circles, radius equal to the side of the square, labelled B. Make shapes out of them. Find the areas in terms of A and B. For abler ones, have a third shape, area (A-B). Get creative, do a bit of collecting like terms and make a display out of it.