1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 taster lesson.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by violet64, Jul 1, 2011.

1. violet64

violet64 New commenter

I have to teach a Y6 french taster lesson next Tuesday. It will be the first time in years as I have always managed to avoid transition day - one advantage of working part time! I would be grateful for any ideas. Something fun but not so good that they expect the rest of the year to match it! Getting too old to stand the pace!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Do you know what they have already done? The last thing you want to do is repeat something they have already learned - that'll turn them off language learning quicker than you can say Jack Robinson.

3. londomolari

londomolari New commenter

Jack Robinson!
    [​IMG]

4. violet64

violet64 New commenter

Even quicker than Jack Robinson. 'No'. They have come from all over, some with 4 years of French, some with a bit of French, some with some Spanish and some with not much of anything at all. Therein lies the problem!

5. I used notebook and interactive whiteboard so they like moving things, matching word and picture, etc. I do animals, lots of possibilities...miming, animals sounds...
    Depnding on how long you have you could do a few drinks and snacks (un coca, une pizza!) and they end up doing a little play at the end; I put them in groups of 3/4 (1 waiter/waitress and the rest customers) They are used to act in assemblies and such in Primary school and really like that.
    Once feeling brave we did a lesson on environment (la pollution, le recyclage...) which went down very well too.

6. londomolari

Gordon Bennett!
    [​IMG]

7. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

parts of the body is fun for a year 6 lesson. You could finish off with 'Jean Petit qui danse' on youtube.

8. londomolari

How about the good, old croissants, chocolate spread and Orangina ploy? They are bound to enjoy it unlessyou've got a class full of vegans, and they won't be expecting that every lesson.
    As for getting too old to stand the pace,you need to learn TWALT.