1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 Spellings

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Carolyne740, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Just a quick query - does anyone have any Y6 spelling lists I can "borrow"! Would greatly appreciate anything as a starting point.
    Have been looking at new draft curriculum and have seen the spellings for Y5/6 ... if anyone has started to work these into a spelling scheme that would be very useful too!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. The Ambrose Barlow spelling lists can be good depending on what you are after. I've only used the Year 3 and 4 ones though.

http://www.saintambrosebarlow.wigan.sch.uk/spellingpage.htm

4. The lists on my website EnglishSpellingProblems got looked at or downloaded 145,000 times last year, especially those for the /oo/ sounds, long /o/, doubled consonants and the /ee/ sound. (I think this may show which spellings are particurly tricky to learn and teach.)
    But if u want to teach/revise spelling as words which disobey the main English spelling patterns, then u might find the listing of them on my blog more useful. It gives the exceptions for all patterns.
    The most difficult spellings are those which don't really have a pattern, such as consonant doubling in longer words (very merry), the /ee/ sound (speak, seek, shriek) and /oo/ (blue shoe flew through too).