1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

y6 spelling test

Discussion in 'Primary' started by violingirl, Nov 5, 2015.

1. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Probably a daft question. Are the children going to be tested on the statutory spelling lists or words like that?

2. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

3. Yahtzee21

Yahtzee21 New commenter

Is anybody able to provide a reasoned guess as to the pitch of the test this year... With these cohorts having not done the new year 3/4 curriculum, will the year 3/4 spellings be tested do we think?
    Thinking mainly of my weaker spellers here: should they be bumped up to upper ks2 spellings even if they aren't ready for them? Any suggestions are welcome... There are a lot of words and not nearly enough time it would seem!

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

The current year 6 could have done three years of the new curriculum in English and Maths by the time they sit the new tests in 2016. It would be bizarre if they were only tested on year 3/4 spellings.

At my children's school they just seem to have woken up to the new curriculum in maths and English. It it was statutory last school year and could have been used optionally in maths and English the year before for the current year 6s and year 5s. Why a school would not have taken up the option I have not a clue -------- clinging on to a vain hope that the government was about to fall or Mr Gove was about to do a U turn? Even if the new curriculum had not become statutory it would have not been such a disaster switching to it in maths and English that year - after all, it's not as different in maths and English as people are making out - and most of the differences would be better tackled by starting on it earlier rather than later.

Why don't schools send copies of the national curriculum out to the parents and tell them to get on with it. At least some of them will have a chance.

I'm not having a go - I know that everyone is just one small cog in the organisation in which they work, but it flabbergasts me that some schools are taking this approach with their teachers and their children. Where have some heads been all this time?

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Are you a teacher, mystery10? Implementing a new curriculum can't just be done overnight. It takes a while to prepare and plan for such a thing. Nothing to do with vain hopes of U-turns.

It wasn't implemented two years ago in Y5 and 6 because last year's and the year before's Year 6 were tested on the old curriculum.