1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

y6 SATS

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Hello, Just wondering how often year 6 teachers do practice SATS under test conditions. I think I will start dedicating some of my afternoon sessions to giving my class some test practice

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

we don't.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Our school does.Hate it. Hate the whole idea of SATs but they aren't going away. Just make sure the children realise it's not going to change their lives as many secondaries do a CAT test at the start of September and set the children accordingly. Then children can go up and down sets as they progress through secondary.
    But if we have SATS, then you may as well get them used to the conditions, working under pressure, reading the questions, looking for clues etc. Didn't seem to help us though - but a year 6 teacher can not perform miracles despite what the LEA and Whitehall thinks.

4. I usually do one complete set of papers (maths/writing/reading) in the first half of the autumn term to see where the children are when I get them, and another in the second half of the spring term to see where the gaps are that need plugging.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I used to (moved to KS1 this year so for the first time ever I don't have to do a thing!) just do a proper test conditions type test early in September, early in January and just after February half term. That was it.

But I did use papers a lot with children working in pairs (similar ability and mixed ability, it varied) or groups to get used to the questions and what to do. I also used lots of maths questions as quizzes. Sometimes I gave the class a filled in reading paper and mark scheme and asked them to mark it, then we discussed what they had given and why.

No point keep testing...all it does it tell you what you already know and give you a huge marking workload.