1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 SATs 2011

Discussion in 'Primary' started by iloverolos, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Helloooooo,

Does anyone have any predictions of what might come up in English Writing this year?

Am totally new to Y6 and work on my own. I've had lots of tips on ensuring I've covered all the different genres but am feeling increasingly nervous... what is everyone else doing around now??

2. Helloooooo,

Does anyone have any predictions of what might come up in English Writing this year?

Am totally new to Y6 and work on my own. I've had lots of tips on ensuring I've covered all the different genres but am feeling increasingly nervous... what is everyone else doing around now??

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Covering all genres and trying to get them to actually learn and remember all sorts of grammar and punctuation as well as the features of various text types

The only prediction I would make is that it is unlikely to be the same as last year. Other than that no idea at all, which os a good thing as otherwise the children wouldn't get a range of skills, just those needed to pass the test.

Don't be nervous, just teach.

4. No. Can't predict it but someone has put a list of the past writing tasks that have appeared over the last 10 years in TES resources.

5. 'Matter of opinion' texts come up more often than anything else ....
    argument, balanced discussion, persuasive.....

all allow children to show understanding of structure - paragraphs, complex sentences,logical connectives etc ....
    But can be made fun as in Radio adverts, playscript (not going to bed yet) etc.
    Apart from last year, writing tasks are on my website, with lots of other SATs stuff . eg maths questiosn - scanned and grouped by topic
    www.grumbles.me.uk

6. I loved the stuff the kids came out with in last year's long writing... had tears rolling down my cheeks with laughter at some of it.

7. poet

poet New commenter

I have no clue.
    Stopped predicting last year when I was CERTAIN it would be a news report - why? I don't know.
    All I know for sure is that this year we could be in a bit of a pickle. My utterly lovely, fantastic children whom I adore are simply unable to START their writing when faced with a prompt of any type that I haven't gone through or modelled or planned with them and everything they know and display so often in their writing disappears ****!*
    I'm hoping that it's all a bit of nerves and that we'll be alright on the night as it were but as for what they're going to be asked to do? No clue. Opinion of some sort perhaps - persuading someone to do something like the recycle leaflet, maybe explanation?

8. It doesn't matter. The marking schemes don't test text features. Hell, they don't even test whether a piece of writing is interesting or entertaining. They just test whether children use paragraphs, modal verbs, precise vocabulary, expanded noun phrases, connectives, sentence openers and punctuation marks. Teach them to throw in a would and a should, a few speech marks, an exclamation mark or two and an ellipsis (maybe even a semi-colon), an although, a while and a because, make sure they use paragraphs and a few expanded noun phrases...and it's hello Level 5.

9. It does have to be 'interesting and entertaining' to achieve a level 5!

10. flumps103

flumps103 New commenter

I've learnt that teaching text type features is a bit of a waste of time since they nearly always combine a couple of text types - far better to teach them the features of good writing in many different forms and how to write for an audience and purpose i.e. look at why they are writing and who for. Then they should be able to adapt their writing.
    I've been doing recount writing for the last couple of weeks (diaries and formal recounts) and we're going to do balanced arguments and report writing over the next few weeks, since I have a creative bunch who can do stories but not so good on non-fiction writing.

11. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Ooooooooooh!!!! I'm a marker for this year's English Sat.........does that mean I have to know what a modal verb is???? !!!!

12. No!!! Cos the marking scheme tells you what words to look out for. It's a simple case of scanning the text for those words. You'll barely need to read their writing at all.

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Don't worry, my year 6's can tell you!

They just forget to put any in their writing[​IMG]