1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 on Old Age and the Elderly

Discussion in 'English' started by KSmiling, May 26, 2020.

1. KSmiling

KSmiling New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a bout to write a scheme about getting old for my Y6. One of the texts we will be reading will be Grandad's Great Escape (David Walliams).
    Before start reading though, I want to do some ground work around old age and am just wondering if it's too sensitive (given the climate) to ask the students to speak to an elderly relative about getting old or write a piece of poetry about an elderly relative or even ask the students to write an article about how they think the elderly should be treated.
    Is there another interesting way of approaching the subject of old age or am I on the right track?
    Thanks in advance.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

It depends what the questions are they'd be asking. You could have them look at the poems 'The Road Not Taken' and 'When I Am Old I Shall Wear Purple' and brainstorm a list of questions. Questions about growth, learning and wisdom would be totally appropriate to ask a range of age groups e.g. their parents and grandparents. Examples:
    • What's the best thing about getting older?
    • What do you do now you never thought you'd do?
    • Do you have any moments you are particularly proud of?
    • Any big regrets?
    • How do you think people older / younger see you?
    • How does age affect [confidence/happiness/contentment/relationships etc]?
    • What do you care more / less about now than before?
    • What does the word 'old' mean to you? The word 'young'?
    • When did you start feeling like an adult?
    These are just examples - the students should come up with questions they genuinely are interested in finding answers to. You could consider using the Question Formulation Technique (QFT from Harvard - google).

They could also transcribe key phrases and words from interviews to create poetry.

Just a couple of ideas - I hope they spark some ideas!

3. Lidnod

Lidnod Lead commenter

The opening sequence of “Up” showing the two characters growing from childhood to old age could be useful to you.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Well that'll cheer them up. Are you sure now is a good time for this topic?

5. KSmiling

KSmiling New commenter

Many thanks for all of your replies. Incidentally I did challenge my HOD about this topic and was told I was being over sensitive. I'm an RQT so will carry on with what I've been asked to do. Just want to cover the topic sensibly.