1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 Nurture class topics

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by apegirl30, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I'm teaching a year 6 nurture class this year with pupils ranging from levels 1-3, autistic and ADHD kids! Any good ideas for good cross curricular topics or themes which have worked well?!

2. I'm teaching a year 6 nurture class this year with pupils ranging from levels 1-3, autistic and ADHD kids! Any good ideas for good cross curricular topics or themes which have worked well?!

3. Hi, I teach Year 7 Transition at a secondary school and began from scratch two years ago. I too have students with designated low ability. I have learned some important things: firstly, be aware of their needs "on paper" but pretty well assume that they are all going to be high fliers. Pupils who have labels attached to them will behave accordingly, so try and ignore those. Keep the numbers in the class to below twenty. Always have a even number in class. Since I'm responsible for teaching seven subjects, I requested access to all department resources. I follow the same curriculum as all other year seven students. I use powerpoint and make it VERY VISUAL. Get students out of their seats and gaining confidence from the front. Buy a remote control so that you can move slides from the back of the room. Create ban atmosphere of self belief from the start. P4C lessons once a week (there are brilliant websites with lessons on which can be adapted. Lastly, we had a parents' meeting for new student last July and the taster lessons were taught by this year's students...I know that this was successful and impressed the parents and the new students. Make the lessons colourful, relaxing, what you don't get through this time, you can do next time. Always take the temperature of the group and be prepared to scrap "Geography" and do something else. Good luck.