1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 Newsroom Day - Volcanoes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Senora Alcaide, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Senora Alcaide

Senora Alcaide New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently working on planning for my year 6 class to cover journalistic writing this half term.

My idea is to create a newsroom situation in which they are writing a story as the event happens - with information coming in all the time so they have to keep updating/editing etc. Will be linking it to our topic Earth-Shattering, so hoping to look at an eruption of a volcano.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and has any ideas/tips/resources they might be able to share as I'm struggling for a starting point!

Thanks!

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

This sounds like great fun. We have done something similar where the children arrived at school to find an 'incident' in full flow - the deputy was stuck in the lift and having a panic attack. All staged of course! It generated some good writing.

For your proposal, I would love to explore options for using technology. Have you access to any mobile devices, such as tablets? If so, I can picture video reports coming in 'live from scene'.

3. Senora Alcaide

Yes we have tablets and laptops available which I was hoping to include - like the idea of videos live from the scene! Thanks.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Have you looked at the material available on the CBBC Newsround pages?

Videos and facts here

Expert speaking here

5. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

6. Senora Alcaide

That's great! Thanks for both of your help :)

marlin likes this.