1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 Level 2/3 children and Read Write Inc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aladdin2, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Hello everyone.
    I have 3 children in my class who have been placed onto Read Write Inc (RWI) ability groups instead of attending my Literacy lesson.
    They do the phonics work in their groups on Mon - Thurs. but on a Friday there is no group so they remain in my class.
    I am having difficulty allocating them something else to do as they have received no prior unit input and therefore are clueless about what the other children are learning.
    These chn also have basic punctuation gaps. I have a T/A in my class. Would it be an idea for the T/A to do a guided punctuation session on the Friday until they become more secure with this?
    Also, they now no longer do a 'Big Write' as this is done usually every other Friday.
    Confused new to year 6 teacher............... Help and advice much appreciated.
    thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You have my sympathy. Personally I disagree with children being withdrawn from lessons for interventions ... they should be in addition to normal teaching not a replacement! They are losing out all round and the school expects them to progress!
    sorry my rant doesn't help

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mine too.
    My Year 6's have Fresh Start ( the RWI programme for KS2) as an intervention whilst the remainder of the class do Guided Reading-so in addition to their usual Literacy lesson. Whilst this means it is only 35 minutes a day instead of the recommended hour, it does mean this is in addition to, rather than instead of, their normal teaching.
    Not sure what else to suggest, not much help from me either!

4. I have a couple, newly arrived, who go to RWI instead of literacy. Whilst I understand the comments about missing out I don't feel that they do as the progress they make in RWI is exceptional. However they go out for all 5 days so I don't have your problem! I would agree with your idea to use your TA or yourself to do guided punctuation / writing work!

5. Msz

But they would still be making that progress and accessing class lessons if the RWI was additional to class lessons instead of instead of ... and then they would be learning what their peers are learning and not falling further behind.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I think this might depend on what is actually going on in the RWI groups these children go out to. If they are having the full extent of RWI delivered to them in the time that they are absent from your classroom, and they improve rapidly as a result, it might be a good swap for what they are missing in your literacy lesson. Otherwise it may not be.
    I'm sorry I am another one without a satisfactory answer to you. Currently one of things I do is volunteer one to one, and children are withdrawn from lessons for that. I don't know what the "cost" to the child of that is, but I do volunteer at times that I have been told are the best ones for that particular child not "missing out". However, unless the one to one work were to take place before school, after school, or at break-times, the child must surely be missing out on something in some way? And to give extra teaching time in break-time, before school, or after school seems tough as it creates a very long learning day for the child.
    For one of the children I work with the time with me replaces the child going to an RWI group ....... but of course going to the RWI group must have entailed them missing something going on in the main classroom so it does not solve the problem either.
    It's going off the point a bit, but I would find it useful to understand your views on this "missing out" aspect of one to one work outside the classroom and how different schools tackle or avoid this problem.
    My own opinion is based on some big IFs, IF the child progresses faster one to one than in the same amount of time in the main classroom the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. So for example if the RWI Freshstart gave the chance to get a year 5/6 child from level 1/2 to level 3 in under a year in reading and writing this would be fantastic, faster progress than the child has ever made in school so far, and would be worth the risks.
    How exactly does your school address this problem with personalised "interventions" Msz?

7. mystery10

P.S. I just read the levels you quoted in the thread title. The RWI phonics programme for younger children is only intended to get children to 2a/3c. Does the Freshstart programme aim higher? If not, and your children who are being withdrawn are already level 2/3 maybe you should be arguing for them not to go to these sessions? As their class teacher don't you have some autonomy in this matter as you do hold a good deal of the responsibility for their progress?

8. Msz

It doesn't matter what they are doing in the withdrawal group they are missing the input their peers are receiving in class. Yes they should make rapid progress but they will have other gaps in their learning because they are not in the class to learn.
    We teach children outside normal school timetable ... before school begins, assembly time, break time, at lunch break, after school so they still get the same input as the rest of the class but receive extra support in areas where they are weak.

9. mystery10

That sounds very dedicated of the teachers (or TAs?). Do the children mind missing playtimes etc, and do they suffer in any way from the day being longer or lacking in breaks?

10. Msz

Teachers ... children regard it as a treat /privilege

11. mystery10

That's interesting. How do you manage to get them to feel that way about doing more work rather than playing out with friends?

12. Msz

They have fun