1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 Induction Lesson

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Looking forward to seeing the responses to this to see how we can develop our induction. We do two things:

Test all students on a our accelerated reader programme so as to have an idea of their reading ages, and therefore the reading book range they should choose upon arrival in year 7.

A generic time capsule module where they devise hopes and fears which they then work with again a few weeks into the new year.

I'm sure I saw a post once about how an English department were compelled to dress as literary characters which the students had to guess...

2. We have a look at extracts about the first day at school- 'Matilda', 'Cider with Rosie' and 'Private Peaceful'. Let me know if you want the resources.

I have also used this idea to create a personification poem about how they would feel on their first day e.g Fear gripped my stomach as I approached the gates. They then went on to create a whole poem like this, showing atransformation in their emotions.

fluffykat_9

3. We have also done the fancy dress thing, but did this at Open evening. We would then get lots of comments about "weren't you ... during open evening?'. They weren't so scaredwhen they then met us during induction day.

4. They sound like some good ideas! Could I be so bold as to ask for a copy of the resources please?
    My email address is rwgallagher@hotmail.com

Thank you kindly,
    Ray

5. http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/year-seven-moving-on-transition-materials-6088095/
    i have just uploaded some transition/induction/early year seven english teaching materials which i have used with students early on in year seven
    it includes the cider with rosie first day at school extract and things like writing a letter and producing a leaflet about the new school for students in their previous school ... have a look ... students usually love it
    the link is above but if it doesn't work i've labelled it 'year seven moving on'

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Thank goodness I don't work in that school. The thought gives me chills!
    We get them to write "My best day ever". We tell them that spelling etc matters and then we level them all and set them from that. Since we never have the KS2 data, and the TA level is always VERY high (and we know about the help offered in NCTs in some of our feeders, this is our way of making sure that we can set fairly accurately.
    They like their tasks, and we try to have them on the wall when they start Year 7.