1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6...extra maths and English already, why?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by markedout, Feb 2, 2011.

1. markedout

markedout New commenter

The school are telling my daughter it's for their benefit...she can't see the benefit of having hours more maths and English and less PE and ICT. Their new timetable started two weeks ago and she is already less motivated and interested than she was. I think the school just want to be near the top of the league tables (interim head with a lot to prove) and they don't actually have the children's best interests at heart. She was level 5 in English and maths at the end of Year 5, so no amount of boosting and revision will make a difference to the outcome of her SATs, the only difference it's making is that she's not keen to go to school.

I'm an infant teacher so haven't had to go through this as a teacher, only as a parent...but really, what's the point?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why?
    SATs, SATs, SATs
    League Tables
    OFSTED
    FFT
    Teacher Performance Management
    Value Added
    CVA
    SIPs
    Need I go on?
    [​IMG]

3. Hurrah for working in Wales.
    So, we get less funding, but we scrapped the tests years ago and it has been a relief.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It's tragic, isn't it?
    It genuinely makes me really sad to see.

5. tange

tange New commenter

Being a year 6 teacher.... I can say I don't like it either and feel sorry for any child in year 6.
    Roll on June... I can't wait!!!!
    The ridiculous pressures and expectations mustn't go on... for the welfare of teachers and their pupils.

6. dobby

dobby New commenter

I went on a new to Y6 assessment course run by my LA last week and was basically told that I needed to get my revision for SATs sorted now - it's January, we only have 3 months, teach them exam technique, get someone else to work with the others in your mixed age class, how will you feel if they don't achieve what you know they can etc etc
    The poor NQT next to me was nearly in tears. No wonder we all feel under so much pressure it is definitely top down!

7. For a spirited NQT it must be a crushing blow to realise this job youve dreamed about is no more than an accountancy exercise in the end in Y6

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't know...I have children who arrived in my year 6 class in September as apparently being a level 5 in reading and writing, yet cannot read fluently let alone understand what they are reading. They also have no clue about any punctuation beyond full stops and capital letters and vocabulary choices that are extremely limited.

Booster group work with them hopefully will mean they get a level 5 or at least a 4a this year so will make them happy in the sense they will think they have improved or stayed the same (which I can explain to them is because the test was harder)!

Of course it is a nonsense. But while I have to explain why children have't made progress, despite showing clear evidence they were not at the level they apparently arrived with, then I will run early morning and lunchtime booster groups. I'll also send the so called 'borderline children' out to have TA help. What else can I do? Just be a good teacher in lesson time??? Don't be silly!

9. I'm in year 6 and carry on with our normal timetable.....so ICT, PE, Art still happen. Why should the kids suffer for the league results? We did it last year too and still did very well. The children can only take in so much so why over load them and stress them out?