1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 disco or Prom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by McCahey, Jul 12, 2012.

1. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

What's happening at your school? My school and that of my chn have always had a bit of a disco. T-shirts given out and fun is had by all. However in ny daughter's school, the disturbing turn towards Prom seemes to be under way. Bookings are being taken for NEXT YEARS 'do'. Including limo etc!!! Ok I know that all tastes are different, but this is certainly not mine. Yes, let the chn celebrate this rite of passage, but keep it real.
    What's happening at your school?

2. NQT2004

NQT2004 New commenter

At our school they are having an afternoon party and a tshirt.
    Parents have tried to suggest we hold a 'prom' - as a school we will fight this all the way. It won't be happening here. I hate the idea of fake nails and limos - horrid!

3. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

The idea of a prom at the age of 16 is bad enough without it being encouraged at Primary level.
    I'm jolly glad it wasn't in fashion when my daughter was at school. Complete waste of hard earned cash. The thought of parents/kids trying to outdo one another, when many families can't afford it or feel pressured into complying, disgusts me I'm afraid.
    Rant over [​IMG]

4. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Hi there Earls wife, I couldn't agree more!!!

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Our school has a prom, all PTA-done, we have no involvement. And yes, it involves limos etc. I don't like it and have done my best to tell any child that'll listen that a little disco is all you need. There have been problems regarding who's getting to ride in which limo and some children are left out. How horrible for those children. I really don't like it.

6. Prom - yeeeuck!
    Ghastly at any age but def not at Primary.
    SO glad my son flat out refused to go to his at 16 - prefered to go to rugby match instead!
    Ban them.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Last year our Y6 children went bowling, laser quest (ing) followed by fast food courtesy of the friends of the school.

8. prom yuk yuk yuk and more yuk. They are eleven. We too go out lazer quest and this year rollerskating. We have a mass in the evening for the class and their parents, followed by a pastie and pea supper in the school hall (which we've poshed up with table clothes and fancy tables, music they've chosen, and a slide show of their photos rolling round). It's a grown up affair - but I insist on uniforms so none of this prom melarky. We then give them paper mortar boards and cotton gowns, and they 'graduate' receiving their ROA and giving a little speech each. It's always lovely and age appropriate. :)

9. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

Ours go to a restaurant in town with all the staff. They do all arrive in limos but that's up to them. It's nice because there is a separate bar and seating area where they can go without us, as they can't get out, so they feel really grown up all sat round with their cokes!

10. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Jenni what a lovely idea. I like the idea of uniforms and graduation. Do you have your own gowns or are these hired? If so, how much. Does PFA / school foot the bill or do chn buy tickets?

11. We have the gowns . . . we made them and reuse each year (really simple navy blue - made like very large pillow cases with a decorative ribbon sewn around the neck line) and the hats are made out of sugar paper every year - we stick the school logo on the front of them with '2012' - they throw them for a photo at the end of the evening ad can take them home . The school support group buy the pasties and peas (not a large outlay) and the staff, kind hearted souls that we are all bring some pudding! It is a lovely evening . .glad you think so too!

12. We have had a beach party for the last 2 years organised by the Parents Association.
    Chn wear shorts and t shirts or sun dresses. Bring a towel to lie/sit on. We have out door disco music and beach games with barbeque and fruit juice cocktails. All really good fun and completely free to children.
    Last year it poured - we took the option of using the hall but the children spent quite a bit of time out in the rain - optional ofcourse.
    Everyone enjoyed it - children, teachers and helpers.
    They are children for goodness sake1

13. Awards evening and then another celebration night with games and pizza. Also out to bowling.

14. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Our Y6 do nothing. Thank God.