1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

y6 differentiation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Im not year 6 but this is a bit of a bug bear of mine! Sometimes I differentiate using key words/sentence starters. Sometimes through picture stimuli, sometimes with adult support & sometimes with equipment to name but a few ways that will not necessarily be obvious in the book. Just because you cannot see it, it does not mean that it is not there! Does your planning show differentiation? If so I would suggest that scrutinies take planning into account.

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I do differentiate through support and equipment. I have to admit I don't use sentence starters all that much as I tend to work with a group and provide them verbally or we'll do a shared/guided write together which they carry on. My planning clearly shows differentiation. Perhaps I will clearly write on the childs page if they have had support or equipment etc.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Another time wasting, box ticking chore! If the differentiation is not explicit in the books yet is outlined in the planning that should be enough!

4. Why do people get hung up on this? Differentiation is so overated. You differentiate, you put a ceiling on the learning. If a child is working at a particular level in a subject, it doesn't mean that they are at that level for every aspect. It just means that they are at that level overall. In maths, a child can be at a level 5 in number, but level 3 in shape and space, and vice versa. English is similar. They may be able to spell and punctuate, but can they use a wide range of vocabulary, or be able to write for a purpose? My questioning is always differentiated. Some questions will be pitched at the lower attainers, and others at the higher attainers. Children will always pick up on the fact that they may have easier work than others and will make assumptions about their own ability, which will have a detrimental effect on their learning.

5. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

My differentiation is generally through adult support, targets and through comments from the previous day. I will also occasionally have key words for my SEN/LA when needed (E.G: in dicussion texts they had logical connectives).
    But all of my children have a half-termly target they work towards that is aimed at just above their current level and they each know what level VCOP to include.
    Everything else is generally based on my marking from the previous day where they uplevel their work based on my comment which is differentiated and then they apply that within their writing that day (E.G: Yesterday they were collecting vocabulary, ideas and identifying features. Some were asked to use one of their words in a sentence, some were asked to do this and use a semi-colon and others were asked to create two sentences of different lengths either using a drop in clause or level 4 connective.)
    Even then I wouldn't be sure if that would be accepted in a book scrutiny (as we've just had maths not literacy).
    Hope something among these ramblings helped!

6. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Some good ideas thanks. I don't usually differentiate marking but I will start doing so.

7. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

How about colour coded success criterias stuck into books when children do writing (extended or even just a paragraph).
    E.g.... say all children were asked to write a paragraph describing a setting...
    # Include brilliant adjectives.(green)
    ## (Above plus) Describe setting with reference to at least 3 senses (e.g. sight sound smell).(amber)
    ### (Above plus) Include similes/metaphors. (red)

In addition, the work you'd done in preparation for this would hopefully reflect which children were meant to be doing which colour.

Edit: This also gives chn to exceed expectations as most often, they want to at least try to do what the brighter kids are doing.

8. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

My class all have very flexible targets which allows them to pick and choose what they need to do in order to up level their work with a little guidance from me. If I come up with some sort of key which would allow them to quickly write their target before every piece of writing e.g target 1 to experiment with new connectives and I have a connective list available in class...along with writing in their book if they had adult support and any extra resources e.g. laptop do you think this would be enough to make differentiation obvious in my books?