1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 class texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsMusgrove, May 25, 2016.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

I'm planning my curriculum overview for Y6 next year. We teach cross-curricular with class texts running though each theme. I would like to know how many novels/class texts others can get through in a term in Y6?

I currently teach Y3 and teach a new class novel each half term.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends on the length of the text.
    Some like The Turbulent term of Tike Tyler or The Angel of Nitshill Road, Kensuke's Kingdom (amongst others) are quite short whereas Peppermint Pig or Matilda take longer.

3. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

We used to get through a novel per term if longer. Shorter texts 2.

It took a term to do the hobbit. My previous school we did Percy Jackson which actually took ALL YEAR!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

We manage one book per half-term.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I reckon a book per half-term is a good average to aim for. Depends how much detail you want to go into. So you can always adjust it seeing how well you're getting through it.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I currently manage a book a term in year 3, but we don't have as much 'story reading' time as I used to have in primary school.

Depends on the book and how much work you do from the book, you may want to move slowly though. Also depends if you have the kind of class who can read a couple of chapters as a homework.

I would choose a suitable text and write the medium term plan, and the novel takes as long as it takes. You can always add some poetry for the first/last couple of weeks of a term.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I agree with @caterpillartobutterfly - I would recommend you go for one book per term; much better to get through the book with some time to spare than run out of time. Things often crop up during a term which mean we don't always progress through things quite as we might imagine. Giving more time might mean you can explore some highways and byway, if appropriate, as they come up.
    I like The Midnight Fox by Betsy Byers, Beowulf: Dragonslayer by Rosemary Sutcliff and The Thieves of Ostia by Caroline Lawrence.