1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y6 and the Elderly

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by KSmiling, May 26, 2020.

1. KSmiling

KSmiling New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a bout to write a scheme about getting old for my Y6. One of the texts we will be reading will be Grandad's Great Escape. Before start reading though, I want to do some ground work around old age and am just wondering if it's too sensitive (given the climate) to ask the students to speak to an elderly relative about getting old or write a piece of poetry about an elderly relative or even ask the students to write an article about how they think the elderly should be treated.
    Is there another interesting way of approaching the subject of old age or am I on the right track?
    Thanks in advance.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sounds an odd scheme, but the only thing I'd say is many year 6s have grandparents in their 50s. They don't necessarily know any very old people.
    Maybe set up a visit to a elderly people's home nearby and do it that way?

minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Approach an old people's home. We've done amazing things with year7s and a home in Cumbria.

The correspondence and enthusiasm from both parties was heartening !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Would many care homes welcome a visit from Y6 now, or even in September?

phlogiston, minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

Nope!

Would many year 6s want to learn about what life will be like when they are old?

minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Possibly not. Though as part of our Year 5/6 PSHE scheme we did years ago have a scheme which had a unit on this and the children did enjoy it. We made visits and raised money for the Care Home for things for the Home. Children wrote letters too and it gave them quite an insight into some of the difficulties we thought.
    We usually ended up with a play written by the children and put on for the residents.

One good way to approach this might be , in view of lockdown to get the children to write about how they think they'd like to be treated in Old age and then as a homework task compare it with theirdparents/ gyardians'.persepctive, who would at least have some idea of how their own parents should / are being treated.

phlogiston likes this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Written correspondence would be welcome.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Fair enough...I try to avoid even thinking about getting old.
    Incontinence, sippy cups, memory loss, failing eyesight...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Something that involves writing letters to residents of a local care home would be a good idea. We’ve done things like this in the past, though been able to include visits/carol singing/afternoon tea type shared events. You don’t know what will be possible in September, so you’ll need to be flexible, but making contact with a care home is a good idea. You could keep it manageable - your kids send paintings maybe? It might be the care home will be willing to record people sharing their memories or similar even if you can’t visit. It’s worth asking. if there’s one thing we can learn from the tragedy in care homes it is that they’re residents shouldn’t be forgotten.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Exactly why we did it, to show them the realities of what becoming old meant.
    I know my own two boys are so much better prepared for the realities of old age , having watched us care for their grandparents into their 90s, than I was and have a much better attitude to it.

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I know from the experience in my school that the year 7s learned about one elderly resident's role in WW2 and the correspondence brought much needed joy to the people of the home who, however briefly, saw value in their youthful experiences. Visits of OAP homes are not easy to organise even in non pandemic times but letters can really help. I'd do the whole thing again tomorrow .

Lara mfl 05 likes this.