1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y5 Roald Dahl topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HellsandBells, Jul 27, 2011.

1. HellsandBells

HellsandBells New commenter

Hiya, hoping for some helpful ideas and/or opinions.
    I'm trying to get as much planning done for September as I can before the week is out, so I can get on with enjoying my hols. I'm moving into Year 5, which is my first year in that year group. To start us off, the whole school is having a focus on Roald Dahl, and I've already been thinking of some ideas for a short topic on him. I'd appreciate any advice on what I've already planned or any more ideas!
    Literacy - I think I'm going to adapt the Hamilton Trust Significant Authors unit, using The BFG as a focus and The Witches as a class reader. I might also base a Big Write around Clown by Quentin Blake.
    Topic:
    History - research the life of Roald Dahl, timeline key events in his life and maybe delve into his service in WW2.
    Geography - Can only think of a little bit of mapwork locating important places such as Norway and Wales.
    Art - either:
    - Drawing a portrait of Roald Dahl. We would do this by using an A4 picture of Dahl and splitting it into 16 sections, with children copying section by section. Not sure how easy or hard this will be for Year 5 as I come from infants and Y3!
    - An alternative is to look at the drawing style of Quentin Blake, and try to draw a portrait (of Dahl of a self-portrait) in his style. Maybe paint it using watercolours.
    - Design and make our own Dream Jars. I think this might be too babyish for Year 5 though, I'm not sure.
    DT - Either make up our own revolting recipes, taste and evaluate them (could use it as a lead in for a Big Write in instructions), or design packaging and an advertisement for Frobscottle.
    What do people think of the ideas so far? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

Does your school have Espresso? There are great resources (videos and activities) in KS2 module.

3. HellsandBells

Oooh, we do have Espresso yes! Will have a little look now. Thanks! Any other ideas?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Some fabulous ideas...well done already! Do you need to work with other staff so you don't all end up doing similar things?

I wonder whether the BFG and the Witches are too young for year 5? Lovely stories and books, ours use them in year 3 though and we are quite a low attaining school.

Both drawing art ideas are great. The jars might be too babyish if you made them from paper, but if you were to ask children to bring in jars (unusual shapes are better) and use glass paints then you could get away with it. They could, once the topic is over, put a nightlight in it and take it home.

5. HellsandBells

Thanks for your reply minnieminx!
    We're one form entry and we've each chosen a different book to focus on.
    I think the Witches is perfect for Year 5, and ideally I'd be focussing on that alone, but quite like the structure of the Hamilton Trust Narrative 1 unit for my first Year 5 unit. That uses The BFG quite heavily. We have a low attaining Year 5 in reading and writing, with 70% EAL and 50% of children below average, so I'm not to concerned with using The BFG but I know that my top reading group have used it in Guided Reading in Year 4. That's only 4 children though. Will have to read The Witches to see if I can adapt the unit to fit around The Witches.
    I like the idea of using glass jars for Dream Jars. We might have some glass paints in school as well.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

With those percentages, you should be absolutely fine with the books. I did add question marks because I had no idea about your school.

If you don't have glass paints, your school should be able to order them easily enough.

Sounds like fun!

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i'm doing a nonsense topic and was planning to use roald dahl a fair bit, in Y1/2. want to use jabberwocky as well.
    will think about that very vaguely for a few more weeks.

8. Wow, those are great ideas! I am new to year 5 in September too, and we are starting with the significant authors unit and we are doing Roald Dahl also. I was thinking of focussing on James and the Giant Peach as this year celebrates the 50th year after it was written.

9. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Roald Dahl was Norwegian and fiercely proud of it: spent every holiday in Norway (this also comes out strongly in The Witches). Might this feed into your Geography topic? Some of his travels with the Shell company and with the RAF (detailed in "Going Solo") might also be good for map work. Links to mapping Giant Country in the BFG?

The various websites on Roald Dahl are excellent. Mine especially liked this one:

http://www.roalddahlmuseum.org/discoverdahl/exploring/default.aspx

For DT we have previously run a chocolate factory. The kids have learned how to make a basic chocolate truffle mixture and then been given free reign to design their own box of 6 chocolates (we supplied stuff like edible glitter, glace cherries, icing sugar, cocoa, writing icing and so forth) We've made packaging and (in English) wrote the descriptions of the chocs. Filmed adverts as well - which tend to sound like a cross between Nigella Lawson and the Marks and Spencers lady!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But you could exactly say that about almost any author couldn't you? And whichever author was posted about, someone would say exactly that!

11. 13th Sept is Roald Dahl day, and this year it is the 50th anniversary of James and the Giant Peach. Our school has signed up to take part in some sort of webcast thing in Sept that is (if memory serves) going to have Quentin Blake in.
    http://www.roalddahlday.info/

12. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Just my personal opinion which I am entitled to give and I know - others to comment on. But let's face it - Roald Dahl. I think he has seen his day! When I think of all the authors that would appeal to Years 5/6.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you think Roald Dahl doesn't appeal to year 5 and 6?

Why do you think he has seen his day? Do you think we should also reject Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen. Bronte and the like because there are newer authors as well?

You can, as you say, hold any opinion you wish. I'm just curious as to the reasons why you hold this one.

14. There are many amazing authors out there and I think it is good to strike a balance between the modern and the more classic books they would otherwise not read at home, or get from the library. My own children adore the Faraway Tree books- simple enough stories to entertain my youngest with enough slapstick humour in it to amuse my y6 child. Yet they are hopelessly out of date and need some aspects and phrases explaining because of this.

15. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

minnieminx, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've actually just seen posting.
    Maybe 'seen his day' was a bit strong but I've always found that some of the children in this age group like to read Dahl and enjoy and have a laugh at his child friendly humour etc. but linking Dahl into my Literacy planning would never happen. As I said earlier, in my opinion and experience, the children get so much more from other good quality literature. I have used Dahl before many years ago but did not enjoy his books as much as others. In order to plan and teach well, I have to really enjoy the literature aswell as the children.
    Hope you understand.