1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y5 pupil, advice please

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lancsHOD, Nov 9, 2017.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I am tutoring maths to a Y5 pupil and a family friend has suggested to the parents that he has Aspergers.

His number work is weak, working around age 6 with addition. Mum has done a lot of times table work, with some success. He has, in some early lessons got very frustrated on 2 or 3 occasions ....tears and hitting own head. Managed not to have a repeat of that behaviour in the last few months. Parents have often had tears when trying to work on Maths. He can spot patterns but has poor retention and benefits from extensive practice.

He is an only child and parents are in their own words the age of many grandparents. The parents are concerned about their child’s progress and mum has pushed traditional arithmetic early and beyond age expectation.

Past teachers have commented on adept use of avoidance strategies.

He often hums as he works. He collects stones and lines them all up.

His school have expressed concern because he wrote he was dumb in a piece of work. School have got some confidence boosting strategies in place for a small group including this child. The child is something of a perfectionist and can get upset when he fails to complete things as he wishes eg not performing to his usual standard in his archery lesson. His mum is trying to work with him to realise, ‘it doesn’t matter.’

At a recent parents evening his teacher said he has not met a pupil with difficulties in all subjects in the way this child has. His maths and writing were said to be ‘developing 4’.
    The parents are meeting the teacher again in a couple of weeks.

What advice would you give them?

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Perhaps parental expectations are too high. If the parents are worried then they should speak to their GP for a CAMHS referral and the school senco for any assessments they can do and perhaps a ASD check list.

lancsHOD and bonxie like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

From what you've posted about this pupil's current level of ability in maths, it sounds like he needs to develop a more solid grasp of basic number skills rather than being presented with more advanced stuff. No wonder he thinks he's 'dumb' poor kid.

Flanks likes this.
  4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Mum has definitely tried to cover material beyond his capabilities and has in the past been told by school to hold off on more complex material. I am now concentrating on basic number and building confidence.

5. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Mum has definitely tried to cover material beyond his capabilities and has in the past been told by school to hold off on more complex material. I am now concentrating on basic number and building confidence.

6. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Replied on the Primary threac

lancsHOD likes this.