1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y5 Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rodl, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Due to difficult personal
    circumstances life is not great at the moment for me. I particularly do not
    want to add any extra stress by being underprepared for the new term. After
    teaching mainly Maths and PPA cover in recent years, I am now to teach a Y5
    Literacy group. I feel so unready for this. If I was asking for one thing it
    would be for someone to be able to simplify the teaching of Literacy. How does
    spelling /word work/sentence work/ gr for writing etc fit in? Are they taught
    as discrete lessons? How many in one week? Is there a way to simplify APP for
    writing and reading? Any help would be appreciated. I am in the twilight of my
    career and really don’t want to struggle with this both for the childrens` and
    my sake. Thankyou.</font>

2. Due to difficult personal
    circumstances life is not great at the moment for me. I particularly do not
    want to add any extra stress by being underprepared for the new term. After
    teaching mainly Maths and PPA cover in recent years, I am now to teach a Y5
    Literacy group. I feel so unready for this. If I was asking for one thing it
    would be for someone to be able to simplify the teaching of Literacy. How does
    spelling /word work/sentence work/ gr for writing etc fit in? Are they taught
    as discrete lessons? How many in one week? Is there a way to simplify APP for
    writing and reading? Any help would be appreciated. I am in the twilight of my
    career and really don&rsquo;t want to struggle with this both for the childrens` and
    my sake. Thankyou.</font>

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

There's some planning for year 5 here in resources which will show you examples of weekly work and help get you started:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Year-5-literacy-planning-6067669/
    Several authoritires have useful planning on their website such as:
    http://www.learninglive.co.uk/teachers/primary/literacy/planning/mtp/index.asp
    You could always look at the 100 framework series and adapt if you are really stuck:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Literacy-Framework-Lessons-Year-CDRom/dp/0439945259

4. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

<font size="3">I&rsquo;m sorry to hear that things are hard for you at the moment.</font>How does spelling /word work/sentence work/ gr for writing etc fit in? Are they taught as discrete lessons?

5. I usually address these in skills lessons, which we have at the start of every Literacy lesson, and in plenaries, as well as targetting individuals through differentiation and verbal/written feedback in the main activity.
    Yes. I have the APP sheets for each of the children on the table in a folder. They have target sheets with them, which are child friendly, and when the child needs a new target, I take it from the APP and write it in child friendly language on their target sheet. Or, I tell them their target and explain what it means, and they write it down.