1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Y5 Industrial revolution - inspiration needed!

Discussion in 'History' started by bumblepop, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Any ideas anyone please?

2. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

Assuming that you're based in Birmingham, could you base it all around the canal system (more miles of canals in Birmingham than in Venice, as any waterways Brummie will tell you - repeatedly!)

I can't claim to be an expert on the canals of Birmingham (or anywhere else), but the Ternt and Mersey canal was authorised by parliament and in 1766 and completed in 1777. The T&M goes within 200 yards of Swarkestone Bridge, where Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobites turned tail and moved North to destruction and defeat at Culloden, rather than advancing South to who knows what in 1745. I still can't quite get my head around the fact that only 21 years separate Jacobite soldiers Irish navvies on the same turf, but doing utterly different things. Makes you realise why they called it a Revolution (the industrial part, not the Jacobite!)

Sorry, slight red herring there. Canals make a fab focus for industrial revolution resources though - changing face of towns (literally), leading to railways - the effects of transport on the apparant size of the country (inter-connectivity), tremendous cross-curricular links (science departments LOVE all the physics of locks, and art departments can get quite excited about canal art as a style.

All this gives you a framework on which to hang stories / people like Arkwright, Hargreaves, Wedgwood and so on, but it means that they have a chance to hang together, rather than just being a random selection of bits of machinery.

Black Country museum is a fabulous place if you're thinking of a trip...

Good luck!